Chapter 24

Nash's POV

Valentine laid motionless in the bed, asleep. Her phone started buzzing. I didn't want to wake her up, so slipped out of the bed and answered out in the corridor. "Hello?"
"Who is this?" The voice asked

"Who is this?" I retorted

"I need to speak with Valentine West"

"This is her fiancé... Who is this?"

"Her father"

My jaw dropped. Valentine didn't talk about her father, we've discussed it a few times but she's never told me why they were so distant and, knowing her, I knew it was better not to ask. What was I supposed to answer? Should I go wake Valentine up? No. From what she's told me, she doesn't ever want to speak to him.

"Hello?" Valentine's father insisted

"She's not available right now, what do you want?"

"How about an invitation to the wedding, for starters?" He said

"I'll get back to you. Do not call this number ever again" I hung up.

I spent the rest of the morning pacing around the bedroom, discussing with myself wether or not to tell Valentine.

"Nash..." She groaned, sitting up as she rubbed her eyes "Why are you pacing?"

I bit down on my jaw, should I tell her? "We need to talk"

"Is everything okay?"

Valentine's POV

Crap. He knew. He knew what happened in the parking lot. He was going to break up with me, call off the wedding. Crap.

"Your father called"

Well, that was unexpected, and relatively worse than Nash finding out. "W-what did he say?" I asked

"He wants an invitation"

"No. No way. Of course not. You said no, right?"

He nodded, sitting down next to me. He took my hands into his, and stared deep into my eyes. Here comes the speech.

"Save it, Nash. I don't care if he's my father or anything" I said, once he had finally finished speaking. "I'm not inviting him"

"What did he do?"

"It doesn't matter" I responded, crossing my arms

"It does to me"

I was silent for a long time, unsure if I should tell him. "He used to hit me" I finally blurted out.

Nash's POV

How did I not know this? How did I never realize it?

"Babe I-"

"Don't pity me. If I wanted pity I would've written a book" She snapped. "Can we just forget any of this happened? Forget he called, forget I told you. Let's go get some pancakes"

I shook my head. No, we needed to talk about this. "Did you ever go to therapy?" Fuck. What a stupid question

"No. My mom doesn't know. And she won't ever know. You'll take this to the grave, Hamilton Nash Grier"

"Then I guess you'll have to kill me, because I'm getting you a therapist" I said, crossing my arms

"Do that and we're done" She said, her voice without a shred of doubt

I couldn't believe she said that. "Valentine, this is serious. You can't keep this bottled up, it's not healthy"

"You didn't even know this until five seconds ago and now suddenly I'm unhealthy?" Valentine said, rubbing her hands against her watered eyes. "Can we just please drop the subject?!" Her voice cracked, as tears streamed down her cheeks in an endless waterfall.

I wrapped my arms around her, letting her bury her face into my chest.

"I didn't mean to make you sad" I apologized

"I- No- It's okay Nash" Valentine finally responded. "I'm glad I told you, but I'm not going to a therapist. Text him back, tell him to never call me again" She said, and with her tone I knew this was the end of the conversation. She stormed off and I knew I wasn't supposed to follow her. I headed downstairs to make myself some coffee, when the doorbell rang. I groaned as I headed to open, it wasn't really a prime moment for someone to crash over. I opened the large door, and received a fucking hard slap across the face. "What the fuck!" I yelled out, looking up to see who it was.

"That was for ditching her twelve years ago" The deep voice stated. I recognized that voice, unfortunately.

"Liam..." I muttered, opening the door to reluctantly let him in. I knew this moment was coming, I just thought it'd be a little more civil.

"Idiot" He replied, as if he were saying my name back. "Where's my baby sister?"
"Liam!" Valentine exclaimed from the stairwell, rushing over to embrace her brother. "I thought you were still in Africa"
"We had so many volunteers, we finished ahead of schedule" He grinned, wrapping his arms protectively around her shoulders. Valentine smiled at him, with such admiration. To her, Liam West was like God himself. With his charities and volunteering in Africa to help build houses, he was nothing short of amazing, to her. To me, he's a insecure, violent, jerk who can't accept that his sister grew up and isn't dependent on him anymore. But hey, that's just me and probably every other guy she's dated and those who were too scared by him to ask her out.
"That is so awesome" Valentine remarked. "Make yourself at home while Nash and I go get dressed"
He nodded at her, but I could see a glare from the corner of his eyes directed at me.
Valentine dragged me up the stairs and quietly closed the door behind us. "You look excited that Liam's here" She said, sarcastically.
"Yeah..." I laughed softly, unsure if I should tell her about her brother's hatred towards me. I did.
"He bitch slapped you?!" She exclaimed, giggling. "You had it coming, Nash. I mean, you did break his baby sister's heart" She added, pouting her lower lip.
I just chuckled, wrapping my hands around her from behind, kissing her cheek.