Chapter 28

Valentine's POV

I ran across the driveway and into my car, soaking wet from the rain. I shoved the keys into the ignition, but groaned and removed them. I couldn't drive. I no longer had crutches, but even worse I had to wear an itchy, heavy black boot cast. Ugh. I slammed my head back into the car's seat.
"When did my life get so fucked up?!" I asked myself, but I already knew the answer. When I met Nash, for the second time. For the past year and a half my life has been nothing but chaotic. Nash and I... Our relationship is an obsession. It's probably unhealthy, our relationship. We constantly fight, constantly hate eachother, but all that does is make our obsessive love stronger... But is it worth it? Going through all this pain just for a moment of happiness?
"Liam? I'm outside, in the car. Can you... Thanks" I hung up, and waited for my brother to arrive; which he did in a matter of seconds.
"What did he do to you?" He demanded
"Liam... Just drive. Please" I begged, he reluctantly drove off through the rain and stopped at a hotel, got us a room and dragged me inside. "Thank you... I just... Needed to get out of that madness"
"Mom... Told me what dad did to you. You should've told me. I would've done something! I feel so stupid and useless!" He exclaimed
"You are not stupid or useless. Look at yourself! You are a rich and handsome MIT honors graduate who spends his time in Africa building schools! Me on the other hand, am simply a pretty face with long legs and big boobs" I groaned, slamming down onto the bed.
"You know that's not true, Valentine. Don't even say that"
"It's true! That's all I've always been! Mom knows it, dad clearly knew it, and you and I have always known it but have been to biased to accept it!"
"Valentine... I didn't know you felt this way... If I had known..."
"Can you just... Shut up? I don't want to talk about it. I want to get drunk and forget all about this crap" I groaned, and grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the mini fridge. I didn't bother grabbing a glass, instead I drank it right out of the bottle, letting the dry liquid flow through my throat. "I'm so done with all of this shit, you know? The wedding. My gosh, the wedding. Do you know how hard it is to plan a fucking wedding? And almost being pregnant, twice! Twice!" I screamed, chugging down more alcohol. "And dad, oh don't even get me started on him. Mom always said I was never a good actress, jokes on her. I spent years lying and no one noticed! No one ever notices! They all think I'm just a blonde bimbo who has no brain or soul, no deep feelings" I tilted my head back once again, gulping down until there was none left. "Icing on the cake? I can't stand Nash. He's so... Obsessive"
Hours went by like this, me ranting, drinking, crying while Liam listened and consoled me. Around 4am he fell asleep, and I just lied there, waiting for who knows what. I headed out onto the balcony and looked down. 21 floor drop. I wasn't going to jump though. No. I already knew what I was going to do, I would do what I always did, pretend like nothing happened.
The next morning I sat in the hotel garden, ignoring every and all calls from Nash, Liam, my mom and Alex.
I texted Liam: Thanks for last night. I'm at home, don't worry about my stuff I'll send someone to pick them up. 💖, Val
I stared at the large door of my home, debating with myself if I should ring the doorbell or just walk in. I didn't get the chance to decide because Nash opened the door.
"Hey" He said, I couldn't read his facial expression. Was he still mad?
"Hi" I replied, making my face just as complex and unreadable
"Um... Come in" Nash insisted, opening the door some more. I slipped inside, and took a deep breath.
"I'm sorry, Nash. I overreacted and if anything you should be mad. What I did was... I'm so sorry"
He grinned, I didn't expect that. "It's okay, babe" He embraced me. "You look tired, why don't you go upstairs and take a nap? I'll go with you"
Nash and I headed upstairs, and lied down next to me, stroking my hair which sent chills down my spine, but I kept it in.

Carter's POV

Sydney slept over, it wasn't our intention but we fell asleep after having hung out in the pool, watched some movies, and... Napped. She was so sweet and pure hearted, I felt bad for dating her. Clearly I'm not as pure as her... I kissed my best friends fiancé and was ready to go way farther.
"Carter... Hi" She whispered in her soft voice.
"Hey, sleep well?"
"Yeah, you didn't... You kept getting up and calling someone. It was that girl right, Valentine?"
"Uh... Sydney..."
"It's okay Carter. We all have baggage. She's your friend Nash's girlfriend? And you two..."
I groaned. Damn this girl was smart. "Fiancé. They're getting married in two weeks... I don't even know if the wedding is still on... Ugh, Sydney, if you want to break up with me it's okay.
I'm a mess and an awful person"
She smiled softly, running her hand across my cheek. "Carter, it's okay. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes"
Damn.