prologue

PROLOGUE

—————————————————————————

ARE YOU SCARED OF BEING ALONE? Alex was. She was scared of being alone in a world of walkers, scared of having no one there. no one to talk to. having no one to drown out the voice in the back of her head that tormented her. That was her biggest fear. but now it was true.

She wasn't scared anymore. that fear had come true. She was alone. she had been alone for weeks. the walker-infested world having swallowed the only people she had left. She was fending for herself, with a violent sense of grief that was eating away at her motivation to survive with each day that passed.

she'd been alone before the world crumbled, but this was different. this was the type of Alone that makes your thoughts run wild. The isolation plays tricks on you. hearing things that aren't there, seeing things.  seeing people that weren't there anymore... 

Sweat beading on her forehead, the hot Georgian sun beaming down onto her face surely leaving burns. Each step drained more and more energy from the 24-year-old girl. Rifle in her clammy hands, the sweat making it difficult to keep a good grip as she trudged Along the road, her breathing heavier than normal due to the added stress of the heat. Alex hoped following the road would lead her to some cars she could attempt to jump-start and find some supplies. yet after all this time, her hope was growing thin, weeks had passed. the last flicker of hope and light behind her eyes had vanished after losing her group. a group she had grown to call family.

her white tank top drenched with sweat, the material clinging to her skin as her mouth dried up due to dehydration. She tightened her grip on the gun, her clammy hands making the simple task more difficult than needed as she kept walking, her muscles weak as she kept pushing on. She couldn't give up she had to keep going, as long as her mind would allow it... 

the worn-down boots on her feet providing little support as she continued walking after what felt like hours, her feet aching, the pain travelling up her calves with each step, a sharp pain lingered within her back as her body began to give up.

each step proving more difficult than the last, she knew she didn't have long left if her luck kept going the way it was. but she was proud she'd lasted as long as she had. without him. no matter what demons plagued her brain, she would not let them be the reason she was taken down. She had to keep trying... For him.

she looked up from the floor the sight making her heart skip a beat. cars, people. the sight made her mouth dry up as anxiety pooled within her stomach, she needed their supplies. she kept walking, her heart pounding in her chest mentally coming up with a plan as she approached them all. with the energy she had left, she knew she couldn't win hand-to-hand combat, get them to trust her, and take off in the night. but could she even trust them for that long?  

She hated it, she wanted to trust people. but she knew. she knew she couldn't. the world, especially a walker-infested world. it wasn't made for a woman. she knew her chances. She knew what happened, she knew what people were capable of. and she knew she was weak... the lack of food drastically causing her strength to deteriorate. 

her heart raced as she got closer to the group, her eyes fixated on the group of people. men. Her heart skipped a beat as she kept walking. she noticed something there was no way. one man, he stuck out to her. her mouth dried up as her heart dropped. she saw him, clear as day standing with other men, and her eyes widened in disbelief. a small smile tugged at her lips as her pace quickened, her chest exploding with relief... she had to be imagining it. it couldn't be him.