3

CHAPTER THREE|| STARTING A LIFE

—————————————————————————

Rick kicked open the door of the abandoned house, sending it flying off its hinges and falling to the floor. A walker lunged forward, but Rick was too Fast. A bullet ripped through its skull, sending the creature tumbling to the floor in a heap. Rick's reaction time was growing faster by the day. Without hesitation, He charged inside, with Alex, T-Dog, and Daryl following close behind. They split up, each one searching for supplies. Every corner of the house was a potential danger, and they knew it. Alex followed Daryl deeper into the house, her gun raised and ready for anything. They cleared each room. The tension was palpable, and the sound of their footsteps echoed through the empty house.

a creaking floorboard caught Alex's attention. her heart racing. She turned towards the sound, her gun raised and ready to fire. The noise came from behind a closed door. Alex signalled for Daryl to open it. He did, revealing Rick on the other side. Alex sighed relief flooding through her veins, lowering her gun as Daryl grunted.

The 4 of them searched the kitchen as Glenn and Maggie came in through the back door, Glenn wielding a shovel. The two made eye contact as he entered the room. Daryl split off with T-Dog to search upstairs once Glenn and Maggie joined. Glenn's eyes fell on his leader's niece as she searched a cupboard he approached her shovel in one hand.

"Any walkers?" Glenn asked as he searched the cupboard next to Alex, glancing down at her as he sighed, seeing the empty cupboard. no food. what a surprise...  all morning they'd been searching and had only come up with a handful of supplies.

"A few," she answered, closing the door of another empty cupboard. Walking back through the house Alex and Glenn saw Daryl walking back down the stairs a smug look on his face as he plucked the feathers from a dead bird in his hand.

"We could set up camp here for the night," Alex suggested. Looking around, it looked a lot more secure than sleeping in the forest again. Rick looked at his niece and nodded in agreement. One night in a town wouldn't hurt, the comfort of a house could help... help everyone rest easier than on the road... 

Alex and Glenn then reached for the walkers, one on each side, Glenn held the Walker's shoulders, and Alex held its feet as they Carried it to the side, their muscles flexing as they manage to move the dead weight of the walker's body so the rest of the group could make their way inside... Rick went outside, signalling for the rest of the group to join them and enter the house. it was safe.

Alex followed as the rest of the group made their way into the living room of the house, Alex sat on the couch resting for a moment as everyone settled in the room. Glenn searched through his bag, finding a small snack he'd found in the house they raided before. He took a bite and joined Alex on the couch. He went to hand the small breakfast bar to Alex, but she shook her head, declining his offer.

"Please," she thought, his generosity was overwhelming. He didn't know her, he had no idea what kind of person she was.

Despite her reservations, Alex accepted the breakfast bar and took a bite, watching as Carl joined them on the floor. Her mind wandered to Glenn's kindness and what he might be expecting in return. Alex observed as her cousin pulled a can from his pocket, and she leaned in to get a closer look as he opened it unsure of what her cousin was about to indulge in.