17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN || A BULLETS CONFESSION

—————————————————————————

excruciating pain tore through Alex's body waking her up. A groan escaping her lips. her hand going to her abdomen only for another hand to stop her hand's movements, by interlocking their fingers, prying her eyes open felt like a task alone until she saw her cousin's red-rimmed eyes, and Glenn's hand holding hers.  

"you're okay" a sigh of relief a voice next to her spoke. Glenn's hand on hers, his words more of a reminder to himself than her, the ache in his heart finally easing for a moment. The initial confusion wore off as she looked up at Glenn, the smile on his face one she hadn't seen in a long time.

"What happened?" she rasped her, voice croaked. she winced trying to sit up Glenn stopping her, the panic returning to his eyes in fear she'd injure herself further.

"you were shot. hershel patched you up. you're going to be okay.. just rest" Alex looked down to see bandages covering her side, Glenn's hand connected to hers as he stared down at her, his thumb gently rubbing circles into the back of her hand.

"is everyone okay? carol?" Alex questioned her memory foggy. taking in the sight of Glenn the bruises on his face had began to fade. sitting up despite his attempts to keep her laying down her eyes brows knitted together.

"how long was I out?" she sat up, Glenn sat on the edge of her bed looking at her the worry in his eyes evident. Carl sat silently looking down at his cousin, worry consuming the young boy. pain etched into his features as the fear of losing another family member diminished. She was okay.

"everyone's fine. it's been a few days" Alex sucked in a breath at that information, wondering what had happened in that time. Glenn could see the emotion in her eyes.

"Everythings under control. we need you to rest" Her hand across her stomach she winced sucking in a deep breath Glenn's panic-filled eyes laid on hers.

"I need to help" she challenged gritting her teeth through the pain, Glenn shaking his head. His anxiety had skyrocketed the past few days, His mind purely focused on the girl before him. the many conversations he'd had with Hershel playing on his mind. 

"Everything's fine Alex. I need you to heal. you scared the shit out of me" Glenn sighed, Carl nodded agreeing with Glenn's words. he needed her. he needed his cousin.

"hey jelly bean" Alex smiled noticing the look of grief on Carl's face. what had happened to Alex having reminded him of the loss he'd faced prior.

"hey" Carl's voice was almost weary, Alex's eyes flickered to Glenn's before reconnecting with Carl as she took his smaller hand, the pain that laced his eyes filled her with guilt, all she wanted was to protect him, look after him. and all she seemed to do was fail.

"I'm okay kid. I ain't leaving you" She offered him a small smile despite the roaring pain in her side. he nodded offering the same sad smile, trying to fight his own emotions.

"ill hold you to that. are you in pain?" he asked worry for her consuming him, he couldn't handle losing his cousin, She was his best friend. she was his only friend.

"Nothing I can't handle" she smiled, Carl looked up at Glenn trying to figure out if the Korean actually believed her words. but she was right, this was nothing compared to what had happened before.