24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR || GOOD DAYS

—————————————————————————-

Rick Daryl and Hershel Arrived back at the Prison. Glenn, Alex and the rest of the group had watched them return driving through the gates, Glenn's Red flannel over his shoulder as Rick and Hershel got out of the car. Alex stood beside him smoothing out her jacket.

"everyone inside" Rick ordered giving Alex a look, One she knew wasn't good. she couldn't imagine what the governor had said to him. The group followed the three men who had gone to see the governor back into the Prison. a sense of worry thick in the air, as anticipation clouded everyone's minds wondering what Rick was going to reveal. 

Alex and Glenn shared a Look as they all closed in around Rick preparing to hear what had been said and if Alex's uncle had a plan, hoping he did. Alex stood beside her cousin as Beth looked over at Alex, Her eyes lingered on Alex's neck as Rick grabbed a rifle from his Cell before returning to the group. Anxiety throughout the group ran high as they wondered what could be next for the prison. if this was the end and the plan was to run. 

"so I met this governor. sat with him quite a while.." Rick began explaining only for Merle to cut him off almost immediately. 

"just the two of you?" Merle questioned, Alex, trying to ignore the fact the man was still alive let alone standing in the same room as her. Carl looked up at his cousin sensing her anger.

"you okay?" Carl asked quietly looking up at Alex and offering her a small smile, he didn't know a lot, but he knew enough. he remembered Rick and Lori explaining to him what happened when she came back from Afgan, and he knew something had happened while she was in Woodbury, but he didn't know the details, and she was glad about that. 

"I'm good jelly bean don't worry" She smiled down at him, her hand resting on the young boy's shoulder as he looked up at her trying to figure out if she actually was okay. he nodded partially convinced by his cousin's words before turning his head back to look at his father, yet Alex's eyes lingered on him for a second longer... she had to protect him, keep him safe. 

"he wants the prison. he wants us gone. dead. he wants us dead... for what we did to Woodbury." tension in the room grew. faces dropped. Glenn's eyes drifted to Alex, worry filling him for the safety of her and the rest of the group.

"We're going to war," Rick stated his eyes darting around the group. Alex knew they had to do this. they couldn't go on the road again. not with Judith. they had to do what they could for this prison. for their home. shed been to war before, she could do it again. 

**

Alex held her rifle close as she walked off, Maggie and Beth following Alex as she walked back into the common area, she knew they had to win this, they knew they could. all she had to do was stay alive until it was safe for Carl and Judith, they were her priority, she had to keep them safe. she'd happily die if it meant they could live. 

"we're with you, Alex. you and Rick." The pair agreed, knowing Both Alex and Rick were two of the biggest hopes the group had left. The two grimes were some of the best fighters in the group besides Daryl and Glenn.

"we'll be okay everything will be fine. don't stress about it. if you get locked down, make sure you find cover. try and get to someone if you can. if not stay where you are. we'll be fine we have to be" Alex smiled knowing Beth was more worried about the war than Maggie was. Alex tried to reassure them in an attempt to calm their nerves but she was never the best at that, she was always the one to run toward danger never away from it.