16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN || THE PAIN NEVER STOPS

tw:
getting shot
ptsd

—————————————————————————

some memories never leave your bones, like salt in the sea they become a part of you. the scariest moments of Alex's life tormented her, over and over again. She fought and fought but things never got easier. the darkness that consumed the world also consumed her. and she couldn't escape it. Alex pulled herself from Glenn's arms, shakily she stood up composing herself and running a hand through her hair. Glenn didn't move, his eyes laced with concern as he looked up at her.

"hey sit down take a minute" his voice was soft, worry consumed him. confusion over what he'd witnessed left him with questions he wouldn't dare ask. Alex shook her head in disbelief. he can't have seen that. panic again consumed her. She now had to deal with the consequences of showing her weaknesses again. She didn't want him to think she was weak. She wasn't weak, she couldn't be.

"you don't dare mention a word of this to anyone" her voice wavered as she pinched the bridge of her nose taking a   deep breath, anxiety rushing through her body as the adrenaline wore down. Glenn shook his head standing up, He took a few steps towards her a look of pure concern in  his eyes as he wondered what was tormenting her.

"I won't. I just- I just want you to be okay. what happened... it's killing you isn't it?" he questioned referring back to the governor, his heart racing as he asked the question that could triple the guilt he already felt. it was killing him, eating away at his heart, his innocence. 

"It wasn't that. just don't say shit about this to anyone." the look in his eyes one Alex didn't recognise as he stared down at her as a mutual sadness clung to the air around them. before he slowly pulled her into another hug, after how desperately she'd been avoiding him in recent days, no matter how badly she wanted him to leave. a part of her didn't. a part of her wanted him. But maybe that was just as a distraction, and she couldn't have that. Alex pulled herself away from him, looking up into his eyes she stepped away putting distance between them. unrecognisable feelings entering her body as her heart raced.

"What did you come in here for?" she asked trying to distract from what he had just witnessed, what she had so desperately been trying to push away.

"We need to find out how the walkers are getting into the tombs" His voice was almost unsure of himself as Alex backed away from him sitting back down on her bed. She stayed silent, shrugging unsure as to why he came to her about it. she wasn't needed.

Glenn stayed silent for a moment gathering his thoughts looking down at Alex, the bruising the governor had inflicted on him still littering his face. unsure of his own emotions Glenn's jaw tightened. questions burning the tip of his tongue he couldn't help himself. he had to know. 

"are we going to talk about this?" he nor Alex fully knew what he was referring to, what had happened between the governor. or them? Alex sighed her hands finding their way into her hair as Glenn continued. She didn't want to have this conversation, she never wanted to have a conversation like this again. 

"We need to talk about it, all of it. Alex, you need to talk about it" Alex looked up at him a small scoff left her lips echoing in the small cell, she didn't need to talk about shit. she was done.