6

CHAPTER SIX || A NEW DAY

—————————————————————————

Alex woke up to an empty cell, Glenn was gone. the blanket he'd used on the floor now folded and placed on the end of her bed. groaning, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes getting up and heading out into the cell block. her eyes landed on the group talking, making her way over she wanted to know what the plan was for the rest of the day.

"what's going on?" Alex questioned as she joined the group stood around a table, all choosing their weapons, as her eyebrows knitted together curious to figure out what they were planning.

"we're pushing in. find the infirmary, warden's office," Glenn answered looking at the girl from across the table, his brows furrowed together confused as to why no one told her after picking up on her confused expression.

"Alright," she reached down to the two knives on her belt before Rick spoke again, crushing her hopes of having a productive Day.

"you're not coming," Rick stated looking down at his gun making Alex scoff and look toward Maggie who was standing next to him and was clearly getting ready to go with them. utter disbelief washing over Alex. As anger flooded through her veins, she wondered how logical this decision could possibly be.

"the sheltered farmer's daughter can and I can't?" she scoffed, all eyes now on her as she insulted Maggie. it wasn't intentional, the words escaped her lips before she even had a second to think. she didn't get how Maggie could go but she couldn't. a trained soldier, and an experienced one at that.

The look on Maggie's face, indicating Alex's words hurt to some extent, Alex just couldn't grasp how she, a soldier, a sniper wasn't allowed to help in any way. how was she supposed to bring anything to the group, prove she could fight if no one would let her? yet in reality, Deep down, she did know.

"Enough. you're staying. I need someone to stay with Lori and Carl." Alex scoffed. She knew something was off with her family, Rick, and Carl they both seemed different around Lori, and she knew why... but she couldn't help but think there was something more.

"I'm more capable than most of the people here" She shook her head turning on her heel, Daryl giving her a look shaking his head as she walked off. Rick following, close behind.

her past followed her around every corner there was no escaping the horrors that once happened despite how fast she ran away.

"you and Carl need to handle things here." Alex shook her head as she kept walking back into the main cell block, trying to gain her composure, her blood boiling at Rick's words.

"Hershel. Maggie? I'm a trained sniper. I was on the road alone for weeks." she turned to face her overprotective uncle with a glare of anger, despite his reasonings. there was one thing neither of them spoke of, one reason why Rick wouldn't allow his niece to go with them.

"stop. Listen to me, Alex. You're staying here with Lori and Carl this is for all of your safety. You know why I'm doing this." Alex ran a hand through her hair, emotions coursing through her veins. She did not need protection.

"Whatever Rick" She shook her head, this world she had been exposed to so much even before all this, She didn't need protection not then. Not now. frustration bubbled deep within her stomach as she tried to pull herself together and let go of the anger that lingered deep within her but she couldn't. She wanted to help.