25

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE || A SORROWFUL LIFE

—————————————————————————

Alex followed the rest of the group into the yard, where her uncle had planned to speak to everyone. walking beside Glenn she smiled softly, despite the situation the group was in how she felt about life had improved.

Glenn and Alex stood with the rest of the Group in front of Rick, Glancing around she noticed three missing faces... Merle. Daryl. Michonne. nowhere to be seen. her eyes darted toward rick the look on his face one of pure worry, fueling the anxiety deep within her stomach. 

"When I met with the governor. he offered me a deal.. he said. he said he would leave us alone if i gave him michonne" Rick explained, his eyes darting around the group. Alex's eyes widened in disbelief, maybe he truly had changed. she knew the world changed people now, people were dangerous. but michonne, she was a part of the group now. 

"and I was gonna do that. to keep us safe.. but I changed my mind. but now Merle took michonne to fulfil the deal. daryl's gone to stop him but I don't know if it's too late... I was wrong not to tell you. I'm sorry.." Alex listened to her uncle in disbelief, her eyes glued to him. It wasn't like she had grown particularly Close to Michonne but if she hadn't turned up to the prison when she had, they wouldn't have known both Alex and Glenn had been taken. she and Glenn would both be dead if it wasn't for her. 

"what I said last year, that first night after the farm.. it can't be like that. it can't. what we do. what we are willing to do. it's not my call. it can't be. I couldn't sacrifice one of us for the greater good. because we are the greater good. we are the reason we are still here. not me. this is life and death. how you live.. how you die. it isn't up to me" Rick looked across to her niece, the whole group taking in his words, a whirlwind of emotion rushing through the air.

"I'm not your governor.. we choose to go. we choose to stay. we stick together. we vote- we can stay and we can fight. or we can go." The impact of his words left the group in silence as he took a few steps back before turning around to walk away, the guilt he had even considered the deal ate at him. 

Alex shook her head as she stepped forward about to go after him yet Glenn's hand landed on her shoulder stopping her movements, turning to look at him he shook his head. brushing him off she followed her uncle, calling his name as he walked away from the group. Ignoring her, Alex sighed as she followed him to where he was planning on staying on watch.

"Rick. what is going on?" She questioned as she approached her uncle, a rifle in his grasp, placed against his chest. Alex was done with being kept out of the loop of what was going on. She needed to know everything so she could help. and she needed Rick to realise that.

"I'm keeping everyone safe. you... Hershel.. carl, Judith" Alex shook her head looking up at her uncle, she knew how much pain he was in. and the stress of being the leader, grieving Lori, and being the one everyone looked to for answers wasn't making his life easier.

"Rick I can look after myself. I'm okay... I need to be in the loop so I can help. and  I can help Rick, you know I can. if Eli was here, you'd trust him. you'd tell him what's going on. I'm not a kid anymore. " Alex huffed wanting to help, knowing how her skills could positively benefit the group. he knew it too, yet the fear of losing someone else, especially her killed him.

"I'm not letting you get hurt again, Alex. After what happened with the governor we're lucky." he sighed looking down at his niece as his gaze softened.

"without Eli, Alex we can't do anything for your back or your PTSD. I know you're friends with Glenn, Maggie. but pulling you from one of those attacks, those real flashbacks. I only ever saw you calm down with Eli." Alex sighed, a familiar pain in her chest making her breath hitch as she remembered what she'd lost... who she'd lost.