7

CHAPTER SEVEN || A NEW OUTLOOK

—————————————————————————-

"We got food" T-dogs voice echoed through the cell block as Alex and Glenn walked towards his voice seeing, T-Dog And Rick walked into the cell block with bags of food, smiles on their faces knowing they'd have enough food for weeks by the looks of things. Hope slowly rejoining the group despite the circumstances with Hershel leg. 

"There's a lot more where this came from" T-Dog smiled as he carried the two boxes further into the cell block. Rick walking up to Lori for an update on Hershel. Although Rick's hope for Hershel was wearing thin. the bite and the dangers that come with it wouldn't escape Rick's mind. he had to protect everyone... and that meant being careful. 

"take my cuffs put them on him" Rick said turning around so Alex could retrieve his handcuffs from his back pocket. Alex took them looking over at Maggie and Beth the sadness in their eyes one Alex was familiar with, making her heart ache for them... the loss of a parent is one she would never wish upon anyone.

Alex looked back at Glenn before going into the cell and taking one of Hershel's hands. She took a deep breath before handcuffing Hershel to the bed, his skin was clammy and she silently hopes that was due to blood loss and not the effects of the bite. 

Meeting Glenn outside the cell, the pair looked at each other, he nodded with a soft smile appreciating everything Alex had done for Hershel and trying to stay positive. Glenn and Alex stood outside Hershel's cell in silence, a mutual sadness hung between them as they waited outside the cell just in case.. just in case he turned. until they saw Carl walking towards them a smile on his face holding a duffel bag as he quickly approached the pair. the cheeky smirk on his face one Alex was familiar with, what had he been up to?

"I thought you were organising food" Glenn stated looking at the young boy, Alex wondered what her younger cousin had done to look so proud of himself.

"even better" Carl smiled walking into the Cell, Glenn and Alex following as he dumped the duffle bag on the floor getting on his knees beside it and slowly unzipped the bag as Alex and  Glenn followed him watching his actions as he revealed the bandages, and antibiotics that filled the bag a proud smile upon the boys face.

"holy shit jelly bean. well done" Alex smiled her hand patting his back proudly as she bent down checking the contents of the bag not noticing the look on Lori's face, more focused on the effect these supplies would have on Hershel's recovery.

"where did you get this?" Lori questioned the young boy as Alex pulled out antibiotics and bandages and began peeling the towels from Hershel's leg to wrap it with sterile gauze and bandages, a smile on her face knowing how much easier it would be for Hershel to fight off infections with antibiotics.

"I found the infirmary" Carl smiled proudly, Alex smiled and continued to wrap Hershel's leg. Alex' was so consumed by her relief knowing Carl had just doubled Hershel's chances of survival she hadn't noticed the angry expression plastered on Loris's face.

"you went by yourself?" Alex could tell by the tone of Lori's voice that Carl was about to get in trouble, her previous statement praising him being taken back immediately after hearing her tone. She understood the danger of this world. but with what he'd already seen and the fact nowhere was safe.. she understood why he'd do this. he wanted to help. just like she did.