30

CHAPTER THIRTY || I THINK I CAN LOVE YOU

————————————————————————-

"When I got through it when I was cleared for duty again. I struggled with um... PTSD. it was severe, but me and Eli were living together then. so whenever I had an attack when he was around he'd count with me, he'd calm me down and do everything he could to make it better. he was the only one who could bring me out of it. he was the only one I trusted. he saved my life, but I couldn't save his." she wore a troubled past like wings as she explained her story, she had been through hell. though no one could see her demons they could see the face that concerned them. And now Glenn saw it all.

his heart shattered, Listening to Alex's story made bile rise in his throat as sadness consumed him, all of his thoughts lay on the girl in front of him, how someone like her, deserved anything like that. how someone could possibly hurt her, he would never understand. His gaze softened as everything made sense, His heart ached for her. He had no words. Tears threatened to spill over as he pulled Alex into a hug. A hug that was needed.

She wrapped her arms around him appreciating his presence. his warmth. His chest constricted as he held Alex close, Inhaling her scent he was thankful. Thankful she was Alive. As was Alex, She was thankful for him. His gentle touch had brought back a sense of hope she was unsure she would ever feel, he brought a feeling that she never knew existed.

"I'm so sorry.." He whispered, sadness lacing his voice as Alex straddled his lap, No sexual desire was involved.. she just needed to be closer to him as the tears slipped down her cheeks. She needed his warmth, his comfort. His kind touch. Eli once was, and would always be her favourite person. the person who saved her life. But right now. she needed Glenn. The man who was the reason she believed there were still good people around.

"I'm so sorry Alex.. thank you for telling me... I am gonna do everything I can to give you the life you deserve.. if you'll let me" Her heart jumped at his words, butterflies grew in her stomach yet a confession was to come.

"I'm scared" she revealed, her voice almost a whisper as she buried her face further into Glenn's neck her heart pounding in her chest as she felt Glenn's body tense at her words, confusion flooding his body. He gently broke the hug, the lack of his warmth almost instantly filling Alex with dread. her vulnerability was showing. her guard was down. the walls she had built so high in order to protect herself he had managed to so simply jump over.

"of what?" he questioned his voice was soft almost as soft as his touch. his eyes meeting hers as he gently tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. Glenn couldn't understand what she could be afraid of until she spoke again.

"I'm scared of losing you. if I let myself feel this way... I can't go through that again. I Just lost Eli... I can't give you what you deserve Glenn" Her voice cracked as she confessed what had been holding her back this whole time. He cupped her cheek shaking his head as tears welled up in her striking blue eyes. his thumb catching a stray tear, gently wiping it away. Hershel's words again rushed through her head. don't be afraid of living.

"I know it's scary. but you heard me, Lex. I'm going to do everything I can to give you the life you deserve, that means I'm sticking around." he whispered his hand gently guiding Alex's head down slightly so he could press a kiss to her forehead. butterflies again erupting in her stomach.

Her Heart pounded against her chest As she listened to his words, she gently nodded unable to form any words. Her hands laid on his chest as she sat in disbelief for a moment. How was it real... how was he real. a part of her imagined that she'd died out in the woods and all of this was just some messed up afterlife. Glenn took Alex's hand in his their fingers intertwining as a small smile tugged at his lips, As she looked up at him the admiration in his eyes a different look to what she was used to. Normally when on the rare occasion she'd talk about what had happened to her the looks she'd received would be ones of disgust, and pity yet he looked at her with admiration.

"you're a grimes Alex. You're one of the strongest women I've ever met. and you've got me now" Glenn comforted with a smile as he kissed the back of Alex's hand again.

"I'm not a grimes" She shook her head wiping a tear from her cheek with her free hand, after not letting herself talk about her life for such a long time relief washed through her as she finally leaned on someone.

"Alex I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I promise." Glenn shook his head. He wanted to do everything he could. he wanted to give her the life she deserved. He loved her.

"does this mean.." Alex sniffled, her vulnerability showing which had initially been a fear. yet Glenn's gentle demeanour had changed the way she viewed letting herself be vulnerable around him. She'd just told him her story.

"Alex.. will you be my girlfriend?" He smiled softly his heart aching for the answer he craved. Alex cracked a smile wiping her other eye before her hand cupped his cheek, their other hands still connected.

"yes Glenn" She smiled, Glenn's body flooded with happiness and relief as he gently leaned forward closing the gap between them, and their lips connected. yet it was different than before. it was loving. it was appreciation.

and that was only the start of their story...

**

AUTHORS NOTE || the end of book 1!!!! how we feeling???

i really appreciate comments and feedback!

the next book is already written! its called memory of devotion! And can be found on my page thank you so much for reading 🫶

so excited for you to read book 2 it's juicy 😭