1

CHAPTER ONE || ON THE ROAD

—————————————————————————

That was three days ago. and the relief still hadn't worn off. since then Alex hadn't taken her eyes off her family in fear they'd disappear, her heart still ached, but her motivation to survive, to keep fighting was coming back, all because of the little boy she was lucky enough to call her cousin.

 In the few days, she'd been around the Group she'd learnt a lot about the People; Carol, T-Dog, Hershel. She listened to their stories about their time in Atlanta, how Glenn had saved Rick's life and reunited him with Lori and Carl, and How they almost died at the CDC. Stories about the Farm. hearing everything they'd been through, all the places they'd been filled her with a sense of hope that they could actually find somewhere again. Rick had become a great leader, he'd lead them to places they could stay.. at least for a while, whereas Alex had been on the road since it had all started.

For hours, Alex's eyes remained fixated on her family. She watched as Carl shadowed his father's every move, his desire to safeguard the group causing her unease. But she knew that Carl wasn't stupid. They couldn't ignore the fact that danger was everywhere. even to children. She couldn't believe how Rick found them and how he managed to survive. She could barely take her eyes off of them, fearing that they would just disappear.

The feeling of finding them was indescribable. Alex had never felt anything like it before. She promised herself she'd never leave them again. Being alone for those weeks was excruciating, Alex had lost herself. But now she was here, interacting with people and travelling with a group, looking for somewhere to call home.

Everyone started to lose hope, Alex was just thankful for her family. but she knew they had to find somewhere, somewhere safe for Lori to give birth. Rick had every ounce of hope and belief they would find somewhere. Alex had no choice but to believe him, and maybe deep down she actually did.

"you feeling okay honey?" Lori's voice echoed through Alex's ears, A smile tugging at her lips as she glanced up to see her aunt smiling at her, she felt like it was a dream she couldn't fathom how this was real... 

"Yeah, I am now I'm with you" Alex smiled looking to her aunt who sat beside her around the warm campfire, Lori's pregnancy Confused the younger brunette... Thoughts popping into her head how could anyone feel safe enough to bring another innocent soul into what the world had become...

"Are you alright? with well" Alex's eyes flickered down to Lori's bump. the worry of a baby, Crying out in the unprotected world. Walkers roaming everywhere. Alex shook her head trying to rid the thought from her brain she glanced at her aunt's bump, that baby. Alex knew she would do anything to protect them... 

"yeah I'm just tired" Lori nodded, Her eyes shifted to Rick from across the fire. The look in Lori's eyes hinted at Guilt. Alex raised a brow as she followed her aunt's gaze to her uncle. Something was different between the couple, Alex couldn't quite put her finger on what, but she knew something had changed.

"Try and get some rest, we're all here.. it's safe" Alex looked around the group, as safe as it can be...

sat on the far side of the campfire Alex wrapped her military-issued jacket around her small frame in an attempt to conserve her warmth as she wondered what life could be like now as part of a group, and if it would actually last. her heart ached as she looked around the group, these people, they had to be good, there had to be good people still around, right?