8

CHAPTER EIGHT || BEGINNING OF THE END

—————————————————————————

A few days had passed since Hershel's accident, and Alex had been checking in on him almost every hour Ensuring he was healing, and infections were kept at bay. the sadness that had lingered between the group was slowly fading as Hershel began to recover and regain his strength. For the first time in days, Alex stepped outside the walls of the prison, being more than just a  few rooms away from Hershel.

she could feel the tension in the air as Axel tried to negotiate with Rick. She didn't trust the prisoners, and she could tell that Rick was feeling the same way. she didn't particularly want to send them away to fend for themselves especially considering the fact they had little to no experience dealing with walkers. but they were prisoners, she didn't know what they were capable of and around Lori.. carl, she didn't want to risk it.

As Rick locked the gate behind Axel and Oscar, Alex watched as T-Dog expressed his displeasure. She understood where he was coming from, but she knew that Rick had made the right decision. She took a deep breath and tried to push her doubts aside. They had come this far, and they couldn't afford to let their guard down now.

"sending them out there might as well execute them ourselves" T-Dog argued looking around the group for anyone who agreed, his caring side showing as he tried convincing the group not to send the two men out knowing they wouldn't last long.

"I don't know, Axel seems a bit unstable," Glenn stated, Alex nodding agreeing. In Alex's mind, Axel didn't seem the type to survive a day but she also didn't trust him around Beth and Carl. they had to think of the whole group, not just one man.

"after all, we've been through, we fought so hard for all this. what if they decide to take it." Carol explained looking at T-dog, desperation laced her voice as her eyes flickered to Rick.

"It's just been us for so long they're strangers. it feels weird all of a sudden having other people around" Maggie explained, Alex just wanted to be done with it and clear the rest of the walker's bodies from the yard and prison and finally start to make this place safe enough for her cousin, her family.

"you took us in" T-dog countered looking over at Maggie whose arms were crossed over her chest, agreeing with Alex. wanting this over with so she could tend to her injured father.

despite morals, despite humanity. the safety of the ones she loved would always come first.

"but you turned up with a shot boy, didn't really give us a choice" T-Dog scoffed in response to Maggie's words. The whole conversation was pointless, the decision had already been made, and Rick was done with it.

"I get guys like this. hell, I grew up with 'em. they're degenerates, but they ain't psychos. I could've been in there with them just as easy as I'm out here with you." Daryl explained, Alex looking over with him wondering if he had now changed his mind and agreed with T-Dog.

"so you're with me?" T-dog asked looking at Daryl, hoping the gruff man would agree yet Daryl shook his head with a grunt., his arm swinging as he shook his head, the crossbow on his shoulder almost falling.

"hell no. let them take their chances out on the road like we did."Daryl scoffed securing the crossbow on his shoulder as his eyes met Alex's and they shared a mutual look of agreement. Rick went on to explain about a kid he arrested when he was a rookie cop, about a kid who stabbed his girlfriend but suckered the jury, to only shoot another girl two weeks later.