23

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE || NEW BEGINNINGS

tw:
smut

—————————————————————————

"Are you okay?"  Alex questioned as she Laid on Glenn's bed, as he re-bandaged her wound for the second time, Merle having ripped one of her stitches she instructed Glenn on how to repair them based on what Eli had taught her after refusing to let Hershel do it. 

"yeah." He answered bluntly, despite the anger burning throughout his body, his touch was still gentle and caring, he took his time repairing her stitches, gently caressing her skin with his thumb to distract her from the pain, no matter how angry he was, how sad he was, his touch remained kind. he finished patching Alex up and she sat up, looking down at him she noticed the redness around his neck.

"it hurt?" she asked her fingers gently brushing against the skin of his neck he shook his head offering her a soft smile despite his pain. Guilt again plagued him. merles words replaying in his mind, the governor did what he did to Alex... and Glenn did nothing to stop it, nothing to get back at him. 

"don't listen to anything he says okay?" her voice was soft as she cupped his cheek his sad eyes looking up into hers, he nodded softly. he listened to her words, and he knew he should ignore every word that leaves merles mouth, but it just didn't work like that.

"I don't know... I don't know what's going on with us Glenn. but I care about you. this whole thing- it's um- it's a lot for me. I don't want to let myself enjoy whatever this is. but I'm trying" He noticed the waver in her voice, the way her eyes darted away from his, the pain consumed her eyes seemed permanent. 

"that's all I'm asking for" He smiled softly his hand reaching for hers that was on his cheek, taking her hand in his their fingers intertwined as he brought her hand up to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the skin on the back of her hand. for the first time in a long time, she felt that slither of hope. her confession wasn't much, but it was enough for him.

**

A few hours later, Alex had spoken to Maggie while they'd eaten lunch, as time went on Alex prepared to take over being on watch as headed up to where Glenn was keeping watch. Gun over her shoulder she approached, She saw him his shoulders covered by a red flannel shirt he was wearing, one she partially liked.

"it's my watch" she stated as she walked up behind him, his tense shoulders loosened as he heard her voice, turning to look at her a few strands of hair falling onto his forehead she couldn't help but appreciate his beauty.

"It's alright I got it" he sighed, he'd barely said a word since they'd last spoken, merles words were eating at him. What the governor had done to Alex pained him. The guilt he felt over it consumed him.

"I'll keep you company then" Alex shrugged, She knew how he felt about it, and she knew how he'd been trying to hide his anger and guilt from her. She wanted to help, Yet she didn't know how. She was never good at making people feel better, she never knew what to say, Eli did...

"hell of a chokehold" Glenn stated, his glance on the outskirts of the prison shifting to Alex as she leant over the fence, a small smile tugging at his lips as he tried to make light of the situation.