2

CHAPTER TWO|| MOVING ON

—————————————————————————

Alex and the group kept moving, never stayed at one camp more than a day, They had to find somewhere. Alex tried to keep to herself, but these people were different from the programmed soldiers she'd been with previously. Aside from Eli, she wasn't used to the constant questions, 'Are you okay?' 'Have you eaten yet?' The kindness this group radiated was new. It Was such a change from being Alone, And not saying a word. To these people constantly trying to talk to her. She did, however, notice someone else in the group who preferred to keep to himself: Daryl Dixon.

She'd had a few conversations with him, and the two surprisingly got along. The initial conversation about hunting led to Rick and where the group had previously been: Atlanta, the CDC, and Hershel's farm. Alex learnt a lot about what previously happened to the group, including Glenn saving her uncle and her uncle handcuffing Daryl's brother to the roof. She didn't learn that last piece from Daryl, though. He wasn't one to talk about his past. Alex respected that. She was the same. sometimes the worst place you can be is inside your own mind.

She nodded towards a rabbit she'd spotted, signalling to Daryl its location. He raised his crossbow, aiming for the small mammal, and with a click, the bolt shot through the rabbit's body. A smile showed up on Alex's face as she retrieved the animal, It wasn't much. But it was Something for Lori and Carl.

"And that's dinner," she smiled, picking it up and looking at Daryl. The line of his lips curved slightly as if he was trying to smile as they both turned back towards camp. Alex looked down at the small animal in her hands as she walked beside the redneck. He grunted Not one for much conversation, The silence lingered between the two as Alex's mind wandered to Rick's plans to find somewhere to call home.

"You actually think we'll find somewhere?" Alex asked as the two walked, The girl's Blue eyes flickered to the Redneck Hoping He believed they could find somewhere as much as Rick did. Daryl turned his head looking toward the brunette, his dark eyes flickered with a sense of belonging within the group.

"yeh. don't worry bout it. Rick got us this far. we'll find somewhere" Daryl huffed, The worry of Lori creeping its way into Alex's mind. The group begged for Lori not to go into labour while they were still on the road. Her pregnancy was a constant worry for everyone. Alex thought about Daryl's words, The fact everyone within the group had Faith in Rick made her optimism grow slightly.

Alex nodded appreciating the faith Daryl seemed to have in her uncle as The two walked, leaves crunching under their feet as they got back to camp. Glenn was the first to look up, his eyes widening in surprise at the sight of The rabbit After days of not being able to catch anything. Daryl nodded, taking the rabbit from Alex's hands and pulling out his knife. He was quick as he skinned the animal. 

Alex sat down a few feet from Glenn, her eyes scanning the camp. Her eyes Landing on her Aunt whose Eyes were Glued to Rick, A look of sadness that hid many secrets Consuming Lori's eyes making Alex's brows furrow together as she walked past the woman, her hand going to Loris shoulder reassuringly. Lori looked up at her niece from her seated position on the floor offering Alex a weak smile despite her exhaustion. Alex nodded softly returning the small smile as she walked past her aunt to sit around the fire. her heart aching for her family, she wanted to keep them safe.

Alex sighed running a hand over her face, Despite the warm welcome from the group, she still couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that lingered in the back of her mind. She had seen too much, experienced too much loss, she wasn't sure if she could ever feel like herself again. memories of what she lost crossed her mind making her chest tighten with grief as she let out a shaky sigh, she couldn't believe he  was gone