9

CHAPTER NINE || LIL ASS KICKER

Alex led Carl out of the building, The baby girl in her arms as she opened the door to the courtyard tears still brimmed in her eyes, the pain in her chest even more powerful than before as she held back the sobs that threatened to leave her lips. she caught sight of the group, rick.. how was she going to tell rick...her grip on the baby in her arms tightened... her and carl, all that's all that was left of Lori, no photos... nothing else to remember her by. she was gone. 

walking towards them a sob escaped Alex's lips as her body weakened, her heart ached as Rick turned around, Glenn's eyes immediately falling on the blood that covered Alex's body and the baby in her arms. She could see how Rick's face fell, she could see the worry consuming his features as he saw her. 

 the air was thick with tension as realisation washed over the group and the world fell silent all eyes laid on the girl who held the screaming baby, Tears slipping down Alex's cheeks, The group gathered around, their faces etched with grief and despair.

The group rushed towards Alex and Carl. the clang of Rick's axe hitting the floor distracted from the baby's cries as the tension in the air thickened even more. He frantically asked where Lori was his voice breaking... trembling with emotion.  Alex shook her head unable to form the right words, a tear trickling down her cheek as Rick walked past her to Carl, breaking down into tears. How was she supposed to put into words what she had done?

His sobs caused the pain in Alex's heart to double as she took a breath trying to control her emotions let it was pointless the ache in her heart was excruciating as Glenn slowly walked up to her, tenderly cupping her cheeks. Her head fell to his shoulder as she cradled the baby, more tears streaming down her face as Glenn gently wrapped his arm around her, bringing her to his side in an attempt to comfort her. She accepted the warmth, the comfort she needed it, she wanted to scream she felt like her chest had just been ripped in two. She saw Rick fall to the floor, violent sobs wracking his body. Grief was palpable in the air as leant into Glenn's body.

Alex handed the baby to Carl as Daryl tried to speak to Rick, but he was out of it completely disorientated by grief. Alex leaned into Glenn's shoulder, the tears slowing down as she regained her composure, yet the pain in her chest.. she wasn't sure that would ever disappear. 

"I'm going on a run," Daryl stated, throwing the strap of his crossbow over his body. He wasn't ready to lose anyone else, let alone the baby. they needed formula, and soon. 

"Yeah, me too," Glenn nodded, looking toward Daryl as he rubbed Alex's back in another attempt to bring her some comfort. He was adamant he'd do something, anything he could to help. he felt it, everyone did, grief travelled in waves, it never just affects one person.. it slowly travels through everyone infecting the whole group...

"I'll go too" Alex agreed, she couldn't let anyone else especially that baby suffer anymore. Daryl nodded before pulling Beth aside to speak to her. Glenn looked down at Alex concern evident in his eyes. he couldn't imagine the horrors she'd just experienced, but that was only one added to the long list of things that tortured her on the daily.

"you sure?" he asked pulling away from her slightly so he could see her better, her eyes red-rimmed from tears as she nodded. She had to do something, she had to look after them, the kids. lori's kids... and from that moment, she'd vowed she would protect them.. no matter what the costs.