4

CHAPTER FOUR|| THE REAL DISCOVERY

————————————————————————-

Rick, Daryl, and Alex rushed back to the cars, ushering everyone back to where they had found the prison. excitement on high, the group had many questions that were left unanswered until Rick cut a gap through the first fence leading to the prison towers. The group squeezed through the fence. Alex stood behind Glenn as he squeezed through. He then held the wired metal fence open for Alex so she could fit through without a scratch, his selflessness taking Alex by surprise once again.

"Thank you," she offered a small smile as she squeezed through the fence, looking up at Glenn he nodded as she continued walking following her uncle and the rest of the group as Daryl and Glenn began tying the hole in the fence closed again to ensure no more walkers could make their way in. Rushing to the gate that separated them from the walkers, the group came to a stop. Alex stopped next to Glenn as everyone looked at her uncle for answers.

"If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers, take this by the night" Rick exclaimed, gun in hand. Alex nodded, agreeing. She knew Lori didn't have long until she was going to have the baby. if they could pick off the walkers, and set up camp in the field, maybe, just maybe it would be safe until then.

"How do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked, looking at Rick. Justas rick was about to speak and answer the older man's question, the boy stood beside Alex cut him off;

"I'll do it. You guys cover me," Glenn spoke, only for Alex to shake her head. He was good, but he hadn't proven he was that good, at least not to Alex. She didn't want to risk anyone else's lives trying to do this, shed lost too much already... the guilt ate at her, Eli's death ate at her.. she was not going to allow someone else to get hurt if she could do something about it.

"No I'll go," Alex spoke firmly, making Glenn turn his head towards her in surprise before looking back to Rick. Glenn would do anything for the good of the group, even if it meant putting himself in danger.

"I'm the fastest," Glenn tried to argue, but Alex wasn't willing to take the risk. She didn't know if he could make it, especially after the group had been rationing their food supply, so their energy levels would be low.

"No.. I'll go," Alex countered, and Rick, Lori, and Glenn all looked at her as she pulled her gun from her body, the strap of the rifle coming off from around her as she went to hand it to Glenn as his eyes widened in surprise he shook his head.

"No. Glenn, Maggie, and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop 'em through the fence," Rick pointed to the other side of the fence meters away from the gate. Alex sighed as her uncle shut down her idea in seconds. Glenn listened to her uncle's instructions, returning her gun to its rightful place. she wanted to prove herself, prove to the group she was valuable, and needed. She needed to feel like her being with them had meaning.

"Daryl, Alex, head to the tower over there. Carol, you've become quite a good shot. Take your time; we don't have a lot of ammo left. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower," Rick ordered. Alex didn't need to hear anything else; she followed Daryl to the second guard tower. she held her gun tightly in her hand checking the ammo she had left in her rifle, her heart racing. this had to work out.

She followed Daryl into the guard tower. once they reached the top of the guard tower her eyes darted across the land beneath them, the walkers roaming behind the fences, Glenn, T-dog, Maggie the rest of the group in their positions ready to make this possible. Her heart raced Rick had to make this.