12

CHAPTER TWELVE || THE FIRST RESCUE

—————————————————————————

"the prison!" Glenn stepped forward panic etched on his face as the man pressed the gun against Alex's head. he couldn't hold it back anymore, he wouldn't be able to live with himself if They hurt her. if they killed her, right in front of him. he couldn't let that happen.

"the one near Nunez" Merle questioned looking between the two, Glenn nodded his lip trembling slightly looking at Alex his swollen face making Alex's chest constrict, the pain from his injuries making it difficult for him to stand straight... Alex's eyes flickered over his body taking in how badly he'd been beaten, her heart consumed with pain. 

"that place is overrun" The man questioned his Gun still against Alex's head wanting confirmation. Alex's heart raced as she thought of Carl, The baby. They had to leave. she had to get them somewhere safe... and that was not at the prison. 

"We took it" Glenn stated his voice wavering, Alex sighed looking at Glenn, his bloodied lips and nose having stained his neck and face with blood. she wanted to tell him everything was okay... but it wasn't. 

"how many of you?" Merle questioned amusement lacing his voice as Alex readjusted her arms to better cover her chest, she answered: "10"

"10 people cleared the whole prison of biters" he lowered his gun in disbelief, Glenn letting out a sigh of relief the gun no longer lined up with Alex's head. the stress, and the sight of Glenn bringing a tear to Alex's eye. the governor noticed as the tear slipped down Alex's cheek and gently wiped it away hushing her,  Glenn watched as guilt consumed him, unsure of what the Governor had subjected Alex to, but by the sight of her, he knew it wasn't good. He couldn't protect her. The Governor cupped Alex's cheeks, pulling her into his chest. The stern look on her face faltered as nausea seeped into her stomach. She felt dirty, the disgusting trail he'd left on her skin burning as he kissed her head.

Glenn's heart raced as he used all of his self-restraint not to lunge forward and attack the man, despite how much he wanted to. He knew that would just put Alex in more danger. A scowl on Glenn's face as the Governor smirked at him before pushing Alex towards him. Glenn pulled Alex into his arms.

 One arm wrapped around her waist while the other rested against her back, his hands holding her against his body tightly. Alex gripped his shirt, her bare chest against the material as she felt relief wash over her, tears pooling in her eyes. The warmth coming from Glenn's body was enough to give her an ounce of comfort after what she'd been subjected to. So many emotions rushed through her body.

She clung to him, thankful he was alive. He buried his face into her neck, tears coming to his eyes as the tears rolling down Alex's cheeks stained his shirt. Memories flashed before her eyes. What the Governor had done was all too familiar. The door of the cell closed as the two were left alone.

They stayed in each other's arms for a while, letting the initial shock subside. Alex clung to him she didn't want to let go, the pain in her chest almost unbearable as Glenn slowly pulled himself away, averting his gaze to preserve Alex's dignity. He looked off to the side, lost in thought. He then took off his shirt and handed it over to her. Alex took it and pulled it over her head. The past few days had triggered memories of her past, and she took a deep breath, hoping it wouldn't trigger her PTSD, but she knew better...