21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - CONSEQUENCE

__________________________________

"Alex, what was that?" She heard him following her, Ignoring his first calls she kept waking only for him to catch up to her, stopping her in her tracks, his hand resting on her shoulder making her stop.

"nothing that wasn't deserved" she shrugged adjusting the strap of her gun over her shoulder as Glenn's concerned eyes grew.

"You need to be careful Alex, we need to focus on the people here and keeping them safe. but you can't lose it and risk hurting yourself again" Alex rolled her eyes looking at the taller man, images of the night they'd spent together rushing through her head along with the memory of the injury she'd sustained.

"I'm okay Glenn I don't need protecting" Alex turned to keep walking only for Glenn to grab her wrist pulling her back, his touch was gentle, yet more dominant than it had been before. the amount he cared always showed through, no matter what happened his kindness never failed to show.

"Alex I don't know what's going on between us... but I care about you. you need to take care of yourself. Have you even changed the bandages?" her hand subconsciously wrapped around her waist, the ghost of pain rushing across her wound. as Glenn's eyes followed her arm, His hand gently shifting from her wrist when she didn't reply.

his fingers gently wrapped around the wrist of the arm covering her wounded side, his eyes flickered up to her sad ones before he moved her arm. his touch was gentle as he softly lifted the bottom of her shirt revealing the bandage, dried blood having seeped through the gauze. His eyes lingered on the blood as he sighed, his heart Ached. he knew. he knew if he wanted to take care of her. if he wanted her it would be a fight. Alex was just as stubborn as Rick. She was a grimes after all.

"come on" He sighed, his hand wrapped around Alex's wrist shifted, his fingertips tracing down her wrist, their hands moulding together as their fingers intertwined Glenn's thumb gently stroking the back of her hand causing a sudden warmth to rush through her body.

He lead her into his Cell, Their hands connected, a sad look in both their eyes, Something made their hearts ache. Maybe it was the mutual awareness of how difficult it would be if they gave in to their feelings. or maybe it was something deeper. maybe Alex was right, Happy endings weren't real. maybe that was something the pair were both aware of.

"can I?" He questioned his eyes lingering on her side as they stopped in his Cell. A sense of nervousness washing over Alex, one she hadn't felt in a long time. Yet a part of her felt that familiar fear, the fear of being seen as vulnerable. the fear that to her was so debilitating.

She nodded, the kindness in his eyes never seemed to fade. he grabbed a backpack from the corner of his cell, unzipping the bag he pulled out some bandages and sat on his bed. his eyes then returned to Alex, her hands becoming clammy as she realised whatever she had, or was about to have with Glenn wasn't going to be as casual as she wanted.

"come here" He smiled opening the packet the bandages were in, Alex walked up to him, standing between his legs. he politely asked Alex to hold her shirt up while he re-bandaged her wound.

He ever so gently began removing the old bandaging, the dried blood tugging at Alex's skin making her wince. Glenn held her hip, his thumb gently rubbing circles on her soft skin in an attempt to comfort her. His touch was so soft, something Alex hadn't experienced. She winced again, stopping his movements Glenn reached for her hand guiding it to rest on his shoulder, his hand lingering on top of hers his thumb gliding across the skin on the back of her hand as he fought the temptation to kiss it.

"almost done just squeeze my shoulder if it hurts" he offered a small smile before his attention returned to removing the bandage. Alex's hand rested on his shoulder, the pain then returned to her side making her suck in a breath her hand gripping his shoulder almost like it had before.

"there you go, first parts done" he smiled softly looking up at the dark-haired girl, Alex exhaled in relief the pain coming to a stop as he examined her wound, thankful for the antibiotics they'd found Glenn's eyes fixated on her stitches, his fingers traced the skin around Alex's wound, his eyes glued to the stitches as he sighed the thought of what had happened to Alex making nausea rush through him. As Glenn began Cleaning the wound Alex felt goosebumps rising on her skin, Her mind racing as silence consumed the two.

"We need to talk you know.." Glenn spoke up, his voice soft as he tried talking, a part of him nervous, awkwardness consumed him as much as he tried to fight it. he'd never felt this way for someone before, he'd never met someone he felt drawn to, someone who could take his breath away. 

"about?" She brushed off his words, causing a sting in his heart as he began re-applying the clean bandages to her wound, she noticed the way his face dropped and it made guilt flood through her veins yet, she didn't think she could give in. she couldn't let herself feel this way. 

"the governor, what's going on with you... us" Glenn had so much he wanted to say, so much he wanted to ask. but he didn't want to force Alex to answer his questions. but he did want her to be okay. he wanted her to know he was there for her.

Alex sighed as Glenn looked up at her his beautiful brown eyes glued to hers, the kind look on his face made her heart swell, the warmth in her body returning as the hand that laid on his shoulder drifted from his shoulder to his neck. her hand gently moving to cup his cheek as he looked up at her, her thumb softly brushing against his cheek.

"not yet, Glenn.. just not yet." Lori's words rung in Alex's ears.. the way he looks at her.. she still wondered what her aunt had meant. Alex couldn't see it, couldn't see how he looked at her. but Lori could, Maggie could. they could see that he looked at her like she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.