CH43: How Many Torches Can a Torchwick Wick?

Roman was having an amazing day. He was having an amazing week, actually. His best friends (that he would like to adopt but can't) rescued his most committed henchman. What's better is that he somehow made friends with that prison fiend Big C. Then, he overhears that Cinder had a pretty rough run-in with the White Fang.

Well, that gave him an idea.

That specific idea had led him to the quaint city of Menagerie. Not to be confused with the country Menagerie, which isn't confusing at all. About a month and a half ish ago, his two best thieves had done a favor for the White Fang. They had stolen a very important historic artifact for the Fang at a prestigious auction. Because of this, they had one exchange favor from them. Well, if all Roman needed was to steal an entire city of it's dust before he can be an unshackled gangstar, then there wasn't that big of a need for the White Fange favor.

Unfortunately, neither Ludwig or Napoleon could make it. Y/n and Neo were spending the weekend at Beacon to study for an exam coming up in dust studies. Normally, this would be a bad thing because he'd be forced to communicate with Cinder. Much to Roman's amusement, that tyrant was away with her lackey's. He didn't care enough listen to why. Something about a good word to her mistress? Eh, Roman's never been one for kinks anyway.

All of these factors led him onto a luxury ship to Menagerie.

Oh, you're probably wondering if Perry was with him. The short answer is no. Perry is terrible with boats. For some reason, his internal organs turn into playdough whenever he feels some light waves. Nevertheless, Roman was enjoying his vacation. Plenty of people to pickpocket on his way to his room.

The ship docked in Menagerie, which almost caught Roman off guard. Articles of the country said that it was crawling with Grimm in the deserts and ocean. He spared the sea a few cautious glances before departing to what he believes is the right location. The streets were filled to the brim with vendors and merchants, all yelling at people to make a deal. It was actually quite surprising for him to see that there were White Fang members just there in the crowd.

The city itself was quite beautiful. Once you get over that the already small island is 60% Grimm infested desert, you are left with a beautiful environment. Tropical trees stretched across every inch of land in sight. There were no roads, or any signs of industrialization for that matter. Just good old fashion dirt walkways and plenty of street vendors.

Roman considered asking for directions, but he was getting a few angry looks. Naturally, a pimped out human would be against the peoples wishes.

Roman hastened his stride, not wanting to start a confrontation and waste his vacation days. However, the sun was beaming down upon him. His forehead was dripping with sweat from the abnormally high temperature. The Gangstar ended up stopping at a street vendor to purchase a beverage.

Roman: How much would an iced drink be?

The burly faunas at the stand glowered down at Roman.

Vendor: It'll be 50 lien.

Roman: You kidding me? I could buy an entire meal with that.

The vendor crossed his arms, his eyes growing angrier by the second. Roman felt the prying eyes of bystanders begin to sear into the back of his head. Like predators sizing up an invasive species in their ecosystem.

Roman: Listen, I don't want to start trouble. I'll accept 30. Anything higher, and I'll have to take this as a sign of disrespect.

His hands tightened around his cane. Was it wise? No. But Roman was a mob boss for Christ sake, acceptance was far from his standards.

The faunas extended his arm and grabbed Roman by the collar. Roman pointed his cane at the vendor.

Vendor: What, you think your hiking stick scares me?