CH52: Catching Up

Most of everything has gone back to normal. The students of Beacon have returned to their studies, the news networks have calmed down their persistent interviews, and the Vale council paid for the damages after some coercing from the headmaster. However, there is one thing that is noticably missing.

Y/n L/n and Neopolitan have yet to return to Beacon. There isn't a single note of their presence in Vale. It was as if they had vanished.

---

Currently, Cardin was taking notes for history. Everything had been stressful for him recently. His teammates were nowhere to be found, and every night he fights the gargantuan leviathan that is his mental issues. His looks had gotten significantly worse, leading to even frizzier unkept hair, darker circles under his eyes, and so on.

Jaune: Hey, you can tell me man.

Jaune was also taking notes. Cardin had been hanging out with team JNPR between classes whenever he couldn't see Velvet. The blonde boy's academic skills were improving rapidly despite his slow growth with a sword.

Cardin: Tell you what?

He looked down at his notes. Cardin thought that the words were eligible, but even he was struggling to read them. Y/n would probably point out that it was more efficient to write in cursive. Thinking of Y/n was just a twist of the knife. Jaune inspected Cardin's notebook, trying his hardest to decipher the ancient text.

Jaune: Take a nap, dude. I'll give you my notes at lunch.

Cardin: You sure? I'm fine, seriously.

Jaune: You've been helping me out for the past month. It's the least I could do.

Cardin looked down at his paper. One could easily mistake it for a collectible in a Slenderman game.

Cardin: You're probably right. Thanks Jaune.

Jaune nodded and went back to taking notes. He glanced over at Velvet, who had a concerned look on her face. She pointed to Cardin. Jaune gave a thumbs up.

Suddenly, the professor stepped in.

The raging green blur sped past every student, leaving a flurry of papers and pencils in his wake. Jaune panicked, waving his arms wildly as if he was warding off a beast. But it was too late. The shark had already picked up the scent of blood. Oobleck leaned down, took a quick sip of coffee, and yelled.

Oobleck: MR. WINCHESTER, SINCE YOU'RE SO CONFIDENT IN YOUR ACADEMICS THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT SLEEPING IN MY CLASS IS ACCEPTABLE, WHY DON'T YOU PRESENT YOUR WORK TO THE CLASS?

Cardin woke up like a nuclear warhead was detonated to his right. A couple of laughs escaped the students in class, but it was silenced when Oobleck turned around.

Cardin: I'm sorry sir, I just didn't get much sleep last night and-

Oobleck: YOU'RE A HUNTSMAN IN TRAINING, MR. WINCHESTER. WILL YOU ALLOW INNOCENTS TO BE KILLED BY GRIMM BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET ENOUGH REST?

Cardin's eyes narrowed. He opened his mouth to respond, probably with a snide remark or a witty comeback. Instead, he closed it and handed the professor his paper.

Oobleck: THE PAPER ISN'T THE ISSUE, THE ISSUE IS THAT YOUR SLEEPING IN MY CLASS TELLS ME THAT YOU AREN'T READY FOR THE DUTIES OF A HUNTSMAN BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SIT THROUGH A SIMPLE HISTORY LECTURE.