t w o

Haerin's POV:

Hyein's expression brightens at my mom's response, unlike me, frowning to my mom in a very intense way.

"No." I say looking at my mom, I see Hyein arch her back at my disappointing answer.

"Why not? I am leaving next week to go to Seoul for three months Haerin, it would be too hard on you to be alone for that long." my mom defends her side, and I just pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Oh yes! Solve that by shoving seven girls in the house with me!" I add knowing what I said made the most sense, "I've never even met them."

I look over at Hyein who looks like she's on the brink of a panic attack, "There has to be another way."

"I don't think so, it's hard to get a place so last minute." she answers, taking her phone out to begin texting her friends.

I really hate seeing her like this, and start reconsidering, they are Hyein's friends, how bad could they be.

And I did owe her something, she's the reason why high school wasn't a total mess.

I look at her once again and think of what a bad friend I am for not saying yes straight away, after all she has sacrificed for me the last couple of years.

"Fine," I say softly, making my mom chuckle and Hyein to look over at me with her mouth slightly open, "When my mom leaves for Seoul, we can share the house." I look at her with a slight smile.

She smiles back, the happiness bouncing off her dark eyes.

As my mom reacts and goes over to hug and give me kisses on the cheeks Hyein keeps smiling.

"Thank you." she mouths as my mom keeps squeezing me.

"Okay, okay jeez we get it." I giggle as I shake my mom off, she smiles at me and then to Hyein she says, "Welcome to our home, if anything happens to her, I'm suing you."

I smile to myself feeling proud for some reason.

"I should go tell the girls the good news," she says happily jumping out of her chair, "Thank you, Mrs. Kang, again." my mom nods to her.

I stand up to follow her, she turns around to tell me to stay but I don't let her "I did it to get fresh air, not for you," I smirk, "I told you not to go feeling too special." she rolls her eyes in response,

As I stand by the door frame waiting for her to enter her car, she pulls me into a warm embrace instead, out of nowhere.

"Thank you Haerin, even though you said no at first, asshole" she grins, I lift my hand off her back and smack the spot, she whines and I smile in satisfaction.

"Get back safe." I say while smiling, she breaks the hug and goes into her car, driving off.

Right when her car drives away, my smile turns into a frown, realizing that by next week, seven girls will be sharing the same house as me.

That was quick.

I hear my mom calling for me snapping me out of my sudden thoughts, I close the door and head back into the kitchen.

"Yeah?" I mumble sitting back into the high chair, I look up at her.

"Are you still friends with that Seoyeon girl?" she asks all of a sudden, looking down at something but I can't tell what it is since she's holding it behind a stack of newly cleaned dishes.

"No, she sucked." I say as I fiddle with my fingers, "Why, what's wrong?" I add.

"I don't know if this is old or if she's missing you, but," she stops then reveals what the stack of dishes were hiding.

A white letter, written on the back was Seoyeon's name, it was addressed to me.

I groan, "I can't do this today."

"She came by early morning, tears in her eyes, she said nothing but mumbled your name," she says then handing me the paper.

I take it but don't react, because I don't know how to. We've never spoken since she told me that she didn't want to be friends.

"I'm gonna get ready for work," she sighs and leaves the kitchen.

I don't open the letter. I don't want any interaction with her.

I look at the letter and tell myself not to open it, I just can't. I go back into my room, and crumble it up, throwing it out into the trash can.

I go to sit on the foot of my bed, legs crossed.

"What is Seoyeon getting herself into?" is all I say staring into the mirror of my makeup table in front of my bed.

I shake my head and lay back down on my bed, staring at the ceiling and just letting my thoughts take over.

I feel a buzz on my mattress, the same buzz my body felt this morning. Is it Seoyeon or Hyein?

I bite my bottom lip hoping it isn't Seoyeon.

"Hello? Is this Haerin?" an unfamiliar voice speaks.

"Uh, yeah this is her." I respond, cautious.

"We just wanted to thank you for letting us into your home, you have no idea how much we appreciate it." the kind female says, I smile, they aren't that bad.

"Well, it's the least I could do."

"I'm Pham Hanni by the way, Hyein gave me your phone number." she reassures me.

"Hello Pham Hanni." I say.

"Hi," she chuckles through the phone.

"And tell her I'm here too!" I hear another voice.

"Oh yeah, the other girls are on the line."

"Hi Haerin!" they all say almost at the same time, which terrifies me.

"Well, see you soon." the first voice I spoke to then adds, "Thanks again."

And then she hangs up.

~