f i f t e e n

Haerin's POV:

It's been a week and nothing has happened.

The last time someone rang my doorbell was a few days ago, and it was the pizza delivery guy.

I get into my bathroom for a shower after I went on a walk around the neighborhood with Minji, who stopped every few minutes to take pictures.

I let the warm water fall over my body, comforting my tense muscles.

After I get out, I wrap myself in a towel and sit on the edge of my bed, then remember to go lock my door.

I get into comfortable clothes, sweats and a top, and jump on my bed. I scroll on my phone, my photo albums, where I see a collection of photos from the past few weeks of me and the girls.

I giggle to myself when I come by the photos of someone sleeping, and the rest making weird faces around her.

Then I smile at the endless photos of Minji that I have from our collection of walks together.

Then a few that someone else took on on my phone, where I'm at the dinner table with the girls, and we're all laughing at something.

Then I scroll back to a photo from the day they treated me to dinner at the overly fancy restaurant.

Even though we weren't so close at that time, we all are so clearly happy in the photo, our hands over each other's shoulders, all pampered.

As I scroll back forward to more recent photos, I land on a photo of me and Hanni. This isn't taken by either of us, but by someone else, I wish I knew who so I could thank them for the picture.

We're both sitting by each other at a café, we're looking at each other with smiles on our faces, not laughs, just wide smiles, staring at each other.

Even though the photo looks so intimate, I never realized it in the moment, it was just a quick gesture, but this photo freezes that quick gesture.

My heart flutters at the sudden thought of her, confusing me.

The memory of me in the kitchen with her that one night bombardes my mind, and I happily allow it to.

I frown then when I remember what she said at the end; "We'll both regret."

But why would she regret it if she did do the something she was talking about?

And why do I want to kiss her so bad?

I turn my phone off to shake the thoughts out of my head, sitting up.

I need to get out of the house.

I open my closet and look for an outfit; I opt for a lacy pink tank top, low-rise jeans and a pair of Converse.

I brush through my now dry hair and put a headband on, then apply light amounts of makeup.

When I'm downstairs, I grab my headphones, keys and wallet and start to head out, but not before Leeseo stops me.

"Where are you going?" she asks.

"Out? Why?" the front door is still half open.

"You're not supposed to go out yet."

I groan, "Come on, Leeseo! It's been a week, I'm still alive, so can I please go out and get some fresh air." I protest, but she shakes her head.

"Then take one of the girls with you, or I can come." she offers, but I decline.

"I really need some alone time." I whine.

"Haerin, please, just take someone with you. Hanni!" she calls out but I place my palm over her mouth.

"No! Not Hanni!" I frantically say, and her eyebrows narrow, confused.

I take my hand away and nervously laugh, "I'd rather have you come with me." I say, and pull her out of the house.

"Alright then." she looks at me weirdly, "So, where are we going?" she asks after walking a little, putting her hands in the pocket of her jeans.

"I was planning on going to the mall, but now you're here." I roll my eyes at her but she smiles.

"We can still do that if you want, and we can stop at a coffee shop or something." she suggests, and I gleam at the idea.

~

Fifteen minutes into our walk, we start to head into a busier part of the city, where there is all kinds of colored lights, shops and restaurants.

Leeseo finds a coffee shop and we both go in, sitting by the window.

"What do you want to order?" she asks me, leaning back into the leather chair.

"Iced hibiscus tea with strawberries." I say, and she nods.

"Do you want to eat anything?" she then asks, lifting her hip up to get her wallet out of her back pocket.

"Mmm, no thanks."

She then stands up to go order, and I reach for my phone to scroll through Instagram to pass the time.

"Well, hello." I hear an unfamiliar voice by me and turn to see who it is.

A very tall and slender man stands by me. His hair is long and dark, reaching down to his jaw. He is wearing all black, black turtle neck, long black coat, and long pants.

His face has a small scar by the lip, and his voice is permanently raspy, yet deep.

His nose is clearly broken, crooked at the bridge. His eyes are hooded, it terrifies me when I look into them.

"Hello? Do I know you?" I ask, my voice hesitant.

He slowly shakes his head, I catch his eyes scanning me, "Not yet." he replies, his voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Not yet?" I straighten my back, my eyes scanning the room searching for Leeseo.

"You know, it's funny, for years I've been looking for them and now you have suddenly become the key." he says, still standing tall above me.

"Listen, I have no idea about who you are and you're starting to make me uncomfortable, so please leave before I scream." I explain, my heartbeat increasing with each passing second.

He gives a short, breathy laugh and starts to walk away, my eyes following him all the way until he isn't visible anymore.

"Here's your drink." Leeseo then appears, placing my tea on the small table.

"Where the hell were you?"

"I went to the bathroom." she then notices my distraught, and leans in, "Are you okay? What happened?"

"A really creepy guy came up to me and started talking nonsense." I try to calm my breathing down.

"Maybe he's just a homeless guy?" she suggests.

I shake my head, "By the way he was dressed, I don't think so."

She looks around the room, then leans back onto the table, "Okay Haerin, you have to tell me exactly what he said." her face has grown serious.

I don't remember word for word because I was panicking looking for Leeseo, or worrying about getting murdered.

"Something about 'looking for someone' and me 'becoming the key'." I answer, and she leans back, her fingers messaging the bridge of her nose, reminding me of the weird guy's appearance.

"He was dressed well, but his face looked awful. He had a scar over his lips and a really broken nose, and it looked like he hadn't cut his hair in ages; it was so dark and down to his neck." I explain, his physical side being more memorable to me because of how scary it had been.

"That's weird." she says, the wheels in her head clearly turning, "Is he from your family by any chance?" she looks back up at me.

I shake my head.

"Do you know him?" I then ask, but she frowns.

"Doesn't ring a bell."

"I still have goosebumps." I rub my arms, and she stands up.

"Let's go home."

~