n i n e

Haerin's POV:

I'm in my room finishing my homework for the night when someone knocks on my door.

"Come in." I say, putting my homework sheets into a folder.

"We're leaving." Hanni says, wearing black cargo pants and a tight black shirt.

"Again?" I stand up from my chair, taking my hair out of the bun that's falling down and gathering at the base of my neck.

"Yeah, and we all think that you should stay home for the rest of the night." she says hesitantly.

"What? No, if I get bored I would want to do something." I run my fingers through my hair.

"Please, just stay inside, go out tomorrow." she almost leaves but I follow.

"I have school tomorrow."

She shrugs, her lips forming a small line, "We'll treat you to dinner this weekend then." and she runs down the stairs.

I don't get it, what family matter could have them away for endless days and nights.

I head towards the stairs to protest but I hear Minji arguing, then a few other voices protesting.

"This is too dangerous for her." I hear Hyein's voice whisper, and I hide a little, trying to listen.

"We're trying to get a new place, it's too hard last minute." that's Kazuha.

"She's right though, we can't stay here for too long or she's in danger. Plus, she's getting suspicious." Hanni is the only body I can see from where I'm hiding.

Then someone scoffs, and they all go quiet. They saw me.

I run as fast as I can into my room, still being sure to make no noise at all.

~

When I wake up in the morning, my body feels too heavy, and my eyelids never seem to stay open no matter how hard I try.

I got no sleep last night, all I could think about was what they're all involved in and how it could have me in danger.

It's terrifying me. It can't be a cult, that's weird, it can't be the mafia, then they wouldn't be living in the middle of the city with me, they can't be spies either, or else I wouldn't know them because it would ruin their career, right?

Unless, they're all lying about who they really are, and that's why they all have weird hair, to change their appearance.

"Stupid." I whisper to myself.

It makes no sense. Hyein is my age, what could she be illegally doing with them?

I finally get out of bed to begin getting ready when Kazuha appears at my door.

"It's five in the morning." I whisper.

"I need to talk to you." she walks in, her voice raspy.

"Okay, sure." my voice stays low too.

"What you heard yesterday might've been off to you." she says, looking at me for some kind of reaction, and I nod, so she continues, "But it's really nothing. Danielle's brother got involved in something that's hard for her family to get her out of, so we're working really hard to do so."

"Can I ask what he got invloved in?" I press my palms together, nervous around her.

She sighs, pausing for a second, "He got into a gang, he tried to rebel."

"Well, can I help at all?"

"I know this is annoying, or unfair, but please listen to what we say for the next few weeks." she gives a sympathetic smile.