t w e n t y - f o u r

Haerin's POV:

Hanni has brought me back to her office with Hyein while the others continue to work, she has bought the three of us lunch.

"Did you guys see Danielle and Eunchae yet?" Hanni asks, sitting behind her desk with her coffee.

"Not yet, can't find them, they weren't in their offices." Hyein looks at Hanni, her eyes trying to say something I couldn't quite make out.

"They usually aren't anyway, don't bother." Hanni shrugs and I'm curious again.

"What do they do?" I ask, poking at my pasta.

"Danielle is RedSea's data analyst, she works by Eunchae, who's a data scientist, we depend on them a lot. They know everything. They are the company's brain." Hanni explains and my appetite for knowledge dominates the one for food.

"So you all are geniuses, simply." I conclude and Hanni chuckles.

"Well, if that makes it easier for you." she smiles, her eyes closing a bit in the process.

"Sometimes you guys don't come home at all, why?" I ask.

I notice Hyein eyeing me, as if my water was about to spill over the edge and it puts me off.

"Minji told you our business was struggling, I assume. We have to stay back and control all the 'bumps' if you will, that come with finalizing sales and deals. When your company isn't doing so well, it's harder to do that, we need to be here." she explains and stands up, heading to the door of her office.

"Already?" Hyein says and Hanni stops in her tracks, smiling.

"Meetings." she says and leaves us both alone.

"We need to start applying to colleges." Hyein says and I throw my head back.

"Ugh! I don't want to." I whine and Hyein laughs.

"Your mother will kill you." she smiles and I nod.

"She's not even here, so who cares."

A loud noise suddenly starts and me and Hyein shiver, our backs curling and our hands over our ears.

The noise lasts for a few more minutes, it's a loud screech, vibrating throughout the building and our bodies.

I hear Hyein groaning at the noise and my head begins to thud, when it suddenly ends.

I look at Hyein, my eardrums struggling to adjust, when I realize it's because I can't hear at all.

I see her eyes widen and she runs over to me, saying something to me but I can't even hear a single word.

I suddenly feel nausea and my brain is thudding like a clot in a vessel.

I can't hear anything.

I see her hands move closer to my face, then I feel her fingers brushing against my hair, she puts her hands in front of me, and they're drenched in blood.

I push myself up so fast my knees shake and I fall.

What's going on?

I put my hands against my ears and see that my hands are also covered in blood.

Blood is coming out of my ears.

I want to cry, but I can't, I'm too confused.

What was that noise?

Why is my hearing not coming back?

Who were those people that disappeared?

Is RedSea a hoax?

Is everything a lie?

- - - - -

"Haerin? Haerin, can you hear me?" I hear a faint voice.

"How are you supposed to figure out if she can hear you?" another voice says.

"Some sort of reaction, I hope." the voice replies.

Slowly, I begin to feel my body, my fingers twitching, my lips opening, my toes curling, and my head aching, pounding even, and I groan.

"Haerin?" the voice gets louder, making everything ring, and I sit up.

"Woah! Woah!" I hear multiple voices exclaim, and I feel a pair of hands supporting my back.

"My head." I don't think I said that out loud, but I hear someone replying.

"Then lay down, don't rush." it says and I listen, falling back.

Everything sounds muffled, then how come it's all so loud?

I let my hands feel my ears, except I don't feel them, I feel something soft, like cotton.

"They covered them with gauze, they need to drain your eardrums." the voice says, and I squeeze my eyes shut, scared that any noise will bring that awful sting back.

"You got a ruptured eardrum Haerin, it'll take some time to heal."a different voice says.

"I'm not deaf." I mumble, relieved.

"You're not deaf." the voice replies, and I feel a hand caress my face, comforting me.

- - - - -
3rd person's POV:

"It was a threat."

"But how could he have gotten in? The building is so secure."

"And I would've gotten a call, I set a team up to do their best to track him or any activity related to him."

"It fits into the line, the letter, the man at the café."

"Those were all targeted to her, he knows her, he knows we care for her, he knows she's vulnerable, this was all a stupid idea. We're risking her life."

"She's right. We're being selfish. We need to erase her from our life so he leaves her alone."

"You can't do that without destroying her."

"Then give me another solution! She'll get killed if we don't cut her off."

"We can't come into her life, let her get close to us and then rip her off. What are you thinking?"

"We didn't plan on falling in love with her."

"That's why we should go now before leaving her becomes too difficult."

"Can't we just tell her? I'm tired of having to lie to her."

"Look at her! She's already hurt, and she's just starting to get to know the company, she could've lost her hearing."

"He knows her too well."

"That's what he meant by the 'key'. She's bait."

"God, what have we done."

A/N

uhm... hi😊