e i g h t

Haerin's POV:

I wake up the next day for school, it's still only Tuesday.

When I go downstairs to leave, Leeseo is there, buttoning up a white shirt.

"Good morning." she says, smiling brightly.

"Good morning! Do you want to make anything?" I say, sitting on the last step of the stairs to put my sneakers on.

"Actually, I made some french toast for everyone, grab some it's in the stove." she nods, running her hands through her hair. "Haerin, do you perhaps think that we can get more copies of the house keys?" she asks.

I stand up, placing both straps of my backpack on my shoulder, "Uh, sure. I gave my extra to Hyein."

"What about me?" Hyein asks, walking down the stairs while she puts on her tie to complete the school's uniform rules.

"We're getting more copies of the house keys." Leeseo answers.

"Sure, take mine." she digs in her pocket and throws her key across the space, Leeseo swiftly catching it.

"Alright, I'm heading out. Drive safe." Leeseo puts on her coat and leaves.

"She made french toast." I smirk to Hyein.

"And that's why I love them." she says, walking into the kitchen.

~

After third period we have a small break, so I go into Hyein's homeroom class to look for her like usual.

Except this time she's not there.

Her teacher notices me, "She's not here today." she says, her face confused.

"What? She didn't come in?" I ask. It made no sense, she drove to school with me, she had her uniform on and everything.

She shakes her head.

"Thank you, Miss Wong." I say, and leave, confused, and annoyed, it's not a short walk from my school to my house.

I take my phone out of my pocket to call her, but as I expected she doesn't answer.

I continue the school day, not focusing on any teachers' explanation through their lectures as all that goes through my mind is why wasn't Hyein at school.

~

After a 25 minutes walk, I get back into the house and instantly pour myself a glass of water, chugging it down in seconds.

When I put the glass in the sink, Hyein walks into the kitchen.

"Hey." she says.

"Thanks for leaving me." I give her a look and she sighs.

"I'm sorry, they needed me."

"The girls?" I ask.

She nods.

"For what?" I ask, taking off my cardigan.

She shrugs, I wait for an answer, but she gives none.

"Hyein, what's going on?" a feeling in me has been off since Hanni told me that they move around a lot, and I find it odd that they're barely home.

I mean, I don't even know what they do, but how could they possibly be all away for such periods of time?

"Is something wrong?" she runs her fingers through her hair, biting her lower lip out of habit.

"Yeah, you're all acting weird. I don't know if this is normal, but it isn't to me." I say.

"They're really busy, and our families are really close, so when something with Hanni's dad goes wrong for example, it involves us all. That's it, I promise." she comes to me and takes my hands.

"Promise?" I ask again to reassure myself.

"Mhm." she nods.

"Fine."