51 | Home.

The world went quiet, and i felt safe in my own.

"What? i'm sorry i didn't quite get you." Simran asked, staring at the doctor with confusion, exhaling slightly, he takes off his glasses and places them nearby, clearing his throat after.

(Simran is kainaats mother btw. 🙏🏻)

"I'm not sure if your daughter will be back soon, her heart rate drops suddenly and goes super high the next day, it's confusing miss Simran, your daughter's case is different from any other." he spoke, Simran nervously shook her legs.

"I-I don't understand! i mean Kainaat was a pretty normal child with no problems or anything, why is her case different than any other?" she questions.

"People have high chances of going in a coma due to alcohol poisoning— or even a brain infection, known as encephalitis, but your daughter has a brain injury, and now that we look into her past history of injuries, we've discovered she's had a brain injury in the past." he huffed.

A memory she didn't ever want to remember again.

Simran stuttered, "Well, she was only a child, twelve years old when she went out to the road, and a car hit her— it's okay, we're over it."

The doctor interwined his fingers and rested them on the table, "I want you to tell me exactly what happened that day, it's important and we can study about the case." he replied.

~

"God damn it! are you mentally ill?!"

The two hollered at eachother, as the whole house was filled with screams or disgusting words they used for one another.

"I'm so sick of your attitude, you're bloody stubborn and you never understood my needs! or even our child's needs! you're a selfish man!" she screamed, he scowled back.

"I'm selfish? just because i have a bit of work?! yeah real nice Simran i'm the selfish one because i work hard to put a roof on our heads, clothes on your back and food on the table!"

But someone watched them for upstairs, her fragile heart couldn't take the pressure, as she silently watched them from upstairs, it was a nightmare for a docile child like her.

Tears brimmed her eyes, as she hiccuped at the sight of her parents, get in eachother's faces.

As the talk was about her it put even more stress onto her head, she felt like all of this happened because of her existence and it killed her on the inside to feel that way.

"Is she even your child!"

That hit the spot, she watched her mother make
that remark and the whole house went silent, silent as in so quiet, it burned her on the inside, her eyes widened.

But what terrified her even more, is that her father— the man who was supposed to care for his family and treat them with kindness, raised his hand at her mother.

His hand stood still in the air, as his eyes were filled with rage inside, as for her mother, she looked partially scared and shocked.

"Dad please don't!—" as Kainaat ran downstairs hurriedly, her foot slipped as she went tumbling down the stairs, her parents were far from where she was as their hearts stopped beating.

Every fall she took, it was as if every rib inside her was cracking, it was as if her brain twisted on the inside, as her body hit the floor with a loud yet painful thud.

She felt some warm blood ooze down her forehead, as everything just went super dark and it was as if she couldn't hear anything, besides her mother's scream of agony.

All she remembered that day is that she woke up in the hospital, with her parents by eachother as if they weren't screaming at eachother a few hours ago.

She had neurosurgery, and that's what made her a normal child again, but her mother couldn't think of that painful memory again.

~

"Miss Simran? are you okay?"

The doctor snapped his fingers at me, dragging me out of the thoughts of that exact day, "So she fell from stairs and had neurosurgery, am i right?" he asked, i nodded.

"Yes— and i don't talk about it often." i muttered, he nodded, "I suppose we'd do our best to keep your daughter breathing, and i'd let you know, she can hear you, so please be gentle." he smiled.

I nodded aswell, "Thank you doctor."

We shook our hands, and i walked out.

~

"And honestly, i couldn't care less about that butterfly laced top, it wasn't even all that." Kiran spoke, and Naseem nodded, just listening without interrupting her.

They were at dinner, as Naseem thought they should have some quality time so he brought her out to dinner, which she was beaming for.

Their hands stroked one another's, as Kiran grabbed her glass of wine and gulped it down, "Don't drink too much, eat your food aswell." Naseem clicked his tongue.

She chuckled, "C'mon, i'm fine."

"Where shall we head out after this?" Naseem asked, she thought of it for a while, "I honestly don't know, we're okay here, i'm totally fine with this." she smiled.

Naseem passed a small smile, "But i really want to show you the town around, i want to make up for all the things i didn't do for you back then." he sulked, she sighed.

"Did you ever care about me back then?"

Her question made him wonder for a while, "Why'd you ask that?— but i have to admit, there was a thorn in the way of me loving you, now that it's out of the way, i can shower my love on you." he replied, Kiran's eyes glistened.

"Maybe you aren't so bad after all." she mumbled, he frowned, "Oh please." he said, making both of them laugh, as they exited the place.

Kiran immediately detaching her arm to Naseem's arm, she felt nice to hold him, it gave her a feeling— that she was protective over him, and it really was a beautiful feeling.

And soon enough, the rain started dripping, slight commotion could be heard as everyone else ran back either inside the restaurant, or anywhere that had a roof.

But Naseem and Kiran stood there.

"We should probably head to our car." Kiran said, Naseem inhaled the aroma of the rain, taking it all in as it was just too peaceful, everything about rain mesmerized him.

He slowly let the drops fall onto his face, later slipping down and onto his clothes, everything about that atmosphere just made him feel at home, his home.

Not the one that had kids running around, loud noises as the elders gathered around, as the women and teenagers worked around, that wasn't home to him.

Her embrace was home.

Even her smile felt like home to him, it was too breathtaking he swore he could cry, he could cry tears of sparkles, as Kiran placed her hands on either sides of his shoulder.

"Naseem." she whispered, as he flinched before relaxing as he looked back at her, with that soft gaze that she had on her face, he felt as if that moment that both of them shared, was none other than heaven itself.

Naseem slowly took off his blazer, covering her frame with it, but the gaze never moved from their faces, it stayed, like his love for her.

He wrapped it around her, as she wore it.

"It would be better if you didn't fall in love with someone like me, we're not going in the direction that you wanted us to go." he spoke, as he was about to walk away, she held his arm.

"I wouldn't care if we didn't go in the direction i wanted us to go, as long as you're by my side, i wouldn't complain about a single thing."

The two stood under the rain, letting themselves get drenched under the sky, Kiran felt as if this was all just meant to be, all of this was a sign, a sign from the universe.

It's like the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no meaning.