3 No Longer Little

I sat in the front seat as Peggy sat in the back with Steve as we drove through the city.

    "I know this neighbourhood." Steve said, "I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

I look down remembering finding him late at night fearing that Bucky and I got there too late.

    "Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked.

    "You start running, they'll never let you stop." Steve explained, "You stand up you push back. They can't say no forever, right."

   "I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face." Peggy admitted.

    "I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army if you were a beautiful dame. Or a... A woman.. An Agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful, but..." I found it extremely difficult not to laugh as Steve tried to fix his words.

    "You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy asked.

    "I think this is the longest conversation I've had with one. Well besides (Y/n)." Steve admitted, "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

    "You must have danced." Peggy said.

    "Well, asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying. And the past few years, it just didn't seem to matter that much. I figured I'd wait." Steve told her.

   "For what?" Peggy asked.

    "The right partner." Steve said.

The car began to slow down and come to a stop in front of Brooklyn Antiques.

     "We're here." I say and we step out of the car shutting the door behind me.

    "This way." Peggy said leading the way.

    "What are we doing here?" Steve asked as he looked at the building in front of us.

    "Follow me." Peggy said and we stepped into the antique shop.

The little metal bell rang as Peggy pushed open the door and an old lady stepped forward.

    "Wonderful weather this morning, isn't it?" She asked.

    "Yes, but I always carry an umbrella." I answered.

The old lady walked over to the front desk as the three of us went to the back and stood in front of a seemingly normal book shelf. The book shelf swung open revealing a hallway that didn't match the shop. Soldiers watched us as we passed.
Walking through the doors at the end of the hall we looked down at what looked to be a control room with scientists in white coats busy at work. Everyone inside stopped their work and stared at Steve.
I walked behind Steve as Peggy lead him down the stairs and to the centre of all the control panels were and stood in front of a strange complex capsule bed.

"Good morning." Doctor Abraham Erskine said as he shook Steve's hand, there was a flash as a photographer snapped a photo, "Please, not now." Doctor Erskine said before turning to Steve, "Are you ready?"

Steve gave him a nod.

   "Good. Take off your shirt, your tie, and your hat." Doctor Erskine instructed.
Steve quickly listened handing his hat to a female assistant, as he removed his shirt and tie handing it to her as well.

I watched Steve lay down on the bed as Doctor Erskine walked to his side.

     "Comfortable?" Doctor Erskine asked.

    "It's a little big." Steve joked, "You save me any of that schnapps?"

    "Not as much as I should have. Sorry. Next time." Doctor Erskine admitted. "Mr. Stark, how are your levels?" He called.

    "Levels at 100%." Stark answered walking over.

    "Good." Doctor Erskine said.

    "We made him half the lights in Brooklyn, but we are ready as we'll ever be." Stark said looking at Steve.

    "Agent Carter? Agent Barnes? Don't you think you both would be more comfortable in the booth?" Doctor Erskine told us suggesting us to leave.

    "Oh yes, of course." I say.

    "Sorry." Peggy said.

   "Good." Doctor Erskine smiled.

I took one more look at Steve then left walking up the stairs.

    "Do you hear me? Is this on?" Doctor Erskine asked as his voice spoke through the speakers, "Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace. We begin with a series of microinjections into the subject's major muscle groups. The serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. And then to stimulate growth, the subject will be saturated with Vita-Rays."

I sat beside Peggy in the booth watching Steve through the window.

   "Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two one."

I watched with my heart racing as the bed lifted up closing around Steve only leaving a window at the top too high for his head to reach.
I blinding light came from the window slowly getting brighter.

    "That's 10%. Twenty percent. Thirty. That's 40%." Stark said, "That's 50%. Sixty. Seventy."

At that moment I heard Steve screaming from inside. Peggy got up from her seat and I followed behind her as we ran out of the booth and stood at the top of the stairs against the railing.

    "Steven!" Doctor Erskine yelled.

    "Shut it down!" I ordered.

    "Shut it down!" Peggy yelled.

    "Steven!" Doctor Erskine asked pounding on the metal as Steve's screams continued.

     "Shut it down!" Peggy yelled again.

    "Kill the reactor, Mr. Stark!" Doctor Erskine yelled as he ran away from the capsule. "Turn it off! Kill it! Kill the reactor!"

     "NO!" Everyone heard Steve yell from inside, "DON'T! I CAN DO THIS!"

    "Eighty." Stark continued, "Ninety. That's 100%."

The monitors and control panels began to spark as the light disappeared. I looked on hoping to see Steve but no quiet sure what to expect or if it even worked.

    "Mr. Stark?" Doctor Erskine called and the capsule began to open.
My jaw dropped at the sight of Steve, first he was tall second he wasn't skinny he was actually the exact opposite.
Doctor Erskine and Howard Stark helped Steve down as everyone went down and surrounded him.

Peggy and I rushed forward.

    "How do you feel?" Peggy asked.

     "Taller." Steve panted.

    "Much taller." I add.

I smile as I catch Peggy reaching her hand forward to touch Steve chest with his new set of abs but pull it back quickly.

    "You look taller." Peggy said handing Steve a white shirt that he put on.

Suddenly there was a loud bang and an explosion from the booth everyone was just in sending glass and objects through the air raining down. I crouched over to protect myself.

    "STOP HIM!" Doctor Erskine yelled as a Man grabbed something before pulling out a gun.
I ran forward but the Man fired two shots one at Erskine and the other at me. I was able to get out of the way just in time so it only skinned my shoulder but Doctor Erskine wasn't so lucky as I watch him crumble to the ground.