62 Funny Way Of Showing It

"Sorry about Redwing." Bucky apologized as the three of us walked down an empty road, passing by fields.

"No, you're not. What's going on in that big cyborg brain of yours?" Sam asked Bucky.

"It's computing." Bucky responded.

"You know what? I can actually see it." Sam laughed. "I can see the gears turning. Oh, they're malfunctioning, shutting down. Yep, they're on fire."

"We got to figure out where the serum's coming from." Bucky said.

"And how the hell after 80 years, are there eight Super Soldiers runnin' loose?" I add.

A car horn honks, and a jeep stops in front of us .

"So that didn't go as planned, huh?" John asked us opening up the little back door, but we just walked right past. The jeep drove forward at a slow pace. " Look, at least we know what we're up against now, huh? And we're pretty sure it's one of the Big Three, so..."

"Aliens, androids, or wizards?" Sam asked.

"Pretty sure." John said.

"There's no such thing as wizards." Bucky shouted.

"Then it's Alien's, or androids..."

"Or Super Soldiers." I finish for John.

"Shit. Super Soldiers, for real?" Lemar asked.

    "Yeah." Sam confirmed.

    "Wow. All right, well, then we gotta work together." John said.

    "That's not happening." Bucky decided.

    "I think we stand a much better chance, if we all just..." John spoke.

    "Just 'cause you carry that Shield, it doesn't mean your Captain America." Bucky told him.

    "Look, I've done the work, okay." John claimed.

    "Have you ever jumped on top of a grenade?" I asked.

    "Yeah. Actually, I have. Four times. It's this thing I do with my helmet. It's a reinforced helmet. It's a long story, but, any... Look, it's 20 miles to the airport. You guys need a ride. Guys. Guys, stop. Get in." John holds the door open as the car stops.

————

   "Okay, so we've got eight Super Soldiers on a bulk supply run. Why?" John questioned as we sat across from him and his partner.

    "They say their mission is to get things back to the way it was during The Blip. Maybe they are just trying to help." Sam said.

    "They had a funny way of showing it." Bucky told Sam.

    "That serum doesn't exactly have a great track record. No offense." John said to us.

    "You're so kind." I say sarcastically.

    "We need to figure out where they're going. How'd you track 'em here? The flag smashers?" Sam wondered.

   "Uh, no, we didn't track them, we tracked you, uh, through Redwing." Lemar told us.

    "You hacked my tech?" Sam asked angered.

    "Sorry. It's not exactly hacking." John chuckled. "It's government property. Kind of the government. Does he always just stare like that?" John asked looking at Bucky.

    "You get used to it." Sam told him.

    "Okay, look," John clears his throat. "You know, things have gotten kind of, uh..."

    "Chaotic." Lemar said.

    "Yeah. The GRC, they're doing the best they can to get things running smoothly, post Blip." John told us.

    "Reactivating citizenship, Social Security, healthcare. Basically, just managing resources for the refugees who were displaced by the return." Lemar explained.

    "The global Repatriation council does all that. I get it. So I exactly are you two hear?" Sam wondered.

    "Well, they provide the resources and we keep things stable." Lemar explained.

    "Yeah, violent revolutionaries aren't usually good for anyone's cause. " John said.

    "Usually said by people with the resources." Sam told him.

    "Well, we got a lot of resources. If you guys, if you joined up with us, we could..."

    "No." Bucky said before John could finish.

    "I got mad respect for you three. But you were getting your asses kicked till we showed up." Lemar told us.

   "Who are you?" Bucky asked.

    "Lemar Hoskins." Lemar said.

    "Look, I see a guy hanging out of a helicopter in tactical gear, I need a lot more than Lemar Hoskins." Sam told him.

    "I'm Battlestar. John's partner." Lemar told us.

    "Battlestar?" Bucky question.

    "Seriously?" I say.

    "Stop the car!" Bucky shouted and the car came to a stop.

    "Look, I... I get it, okay? I get the attitude, I do." John says as Bucky and I climb out Sam still sitting. "You didn't think that the Shield was going to end up here. I get it. And I'm... I'm not trying to be Steve."

    "Good, because you'll never come anywhere close to him even if you try." I tell John.

   "I'm not trying to replace Steve. I'm just trying to be the best Captain America I can be. That's it. It'd be a whole lot easier if I had Cap's wingman on my side." John tried.

    "It's always that last line." Sam scoffs and got out.

————

  "You all right?" I asked Bucky as we sat in the plane.

    "Let's take the Shield." Bucky spoke. "Let's take the Shield and do this ourselves."

   "We can't just run up on the man, beat him up, and take it." Sam said. "Do you two remember what happened the last time we stole it?"

    "Yeah." I nod.

   "Maybe." Bucky says.

   "I'll help you in case you forget. Sharon was branded enemy of the State, and Steve, (Y/n) and I were on the run for two years. I don't know about you, but I don't wanna live the rest of my life la vida loca. We just got our ass handed to us by Super Soldier, and we got nothing." Sam said.

    "Not entirely true." Bucky stood up. "There is someone that you should meet.

————

   "Hey, it's Black Falcon. What's up?" A kid called as the three of us followed Bucky down the street.

    "It's just Falcon, kid." Sam told him.

   "No, no. My Daddy told me it's Black Falcon." The kid corrected.

   "Is it because I'm Black and I'm the Falcon?" Sam asked.

    "Well, technically, I mean, yes." The kid said.

    "So are you, like, Black kid?" Sam asked. "I got him, right?" Sam chuckled at the kid's friend.

-
We followed Bucky up the steps of a house. Bucky knocked and we waited.