12 Welcome Back To The World

I had my own apartment I still do I just usually stay with Steve now. Luckily he often at the gym when I wake up screaming from the nightmares.
Every since Steve was found I often stayed around him. We understood each other and seeing his unchanged familiar face after 70 years of hell is a comfort.
I knew it wasn't just me, he also enjoyed being around me and preferred it over being alone or with someone else.

"How many is that now?" I ask Steve as he brakes another punching bag.

"You tell me?" Steve asks as he picks up another bag and sets it up.

"I think this is the fifth or sixth." I smile walking over to him. "Is this helping?"

"Do you have a better idea? What did you do?" Steve asked.

"Exactly what you are doing now." I sighed.

"You never told me?" Steve asked as he started to punch.

"Told you what?" I ask confused.

"How exactly you got frozen." Steve said.

"Oh, well, after you crashed and after that war was over I went out looking for you with Peggy, Howard and a couple others. We couldn't find you but I didn't give up. I refused to leave and I guess I must of fallen in the water." I tell him, all of it was the truth except for me falling under the ice.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"It wasn't your fault." I say as he knocks the bag to the ground. "Steve you really need to be more gentle with these."
He put another one up.

    "Trouble sleeping?" I heard Fury ask.

     "I slept for 70 years, Sir I think I've had my fill." Steve said as he continued to punch.

     "Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Fury said.

Steve stopped punching as he unwrapped his hands. "When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

    "We've made some mistakes along the way. Some, very recently." Fury said.

    "Are you here with a mission, Sir?" Steve asked.

    "I am." Fury agreed.

    "Trying to get me back in the world?" Steve asked.

    "Trying to save it." Fury said handing us both a file.

     "HYDRA's secret weapon." Steve said as he read the paper with big capital words saying TESSERACT.

      "Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you." Fury explained.

     "I was there, it was all we were able to find." I say.

    "He thought what we think. The Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something that world sorely needs." Fury explained as we handed back the file.

    "Who took it from you?" Steve asked.

    "He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." Fury told us.

    "At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me." Steve said.

    "Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing packet waiting for you both back at your apartment." Fury said as Steve picked up his bag and a punching bag. "Is there anything you two can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?"