24 In Plane Sight

"Where are we going now?" I asked Steve as we ran.

"The hospital." He answered.

"Why?" I asked.

"I left the flash drive there." Steve told me.

—————

Wearing a hoodie we walked through the hospital stopping at the vending machine.

    "It's gone." Steve whispered.
At that moment I heard the pop of bubble gum.
Turning around we were met with Nat.
Steve grabber her and pushed her back into a room.

    "Where is it?" Steve asked as I shut the door.

    "Safe." Nat answered as Steve kept her pressed against the wall with his face close to hers.

    "Do better." Steve said.

    "Where did you get it?" Nat asked.

    "Why would I tell you?" Steve said.

    "Fury gave it to you. Why?"  Nat said.

     "What's on it?" Steve asked.

    "I don't know." Nat told him.

    "Stop lying." Steve said.

    "I only act like I know everything, Rogers." Nat said.

    "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve told her.

    "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Nat said.

   "I'm not gonna ask you again." Steve pressed.

    "I know who killed Fury." Nat suddenly said catching my attention, I already knew who killed him but I was still curious in how she found out.
    "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the..."

    "Winter Soldier." I mutter and they both turn to me. "He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years."

     "How'd you?" Nat asked.

    "I've done a little research in my spare time." I say.

    "So he's a ghost story." Steve said turning back to Nat.

    "Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him straight through me." Nat pulls up her shirt revealing an ugly scar. "Soviet slug. No rifling. Bye-bye, bikinis."

    "Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Steve smiled.

    "Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Nat pulled out the flash drive, "Like you said, he's a ghost story."
Steve took the drive.

    "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants." Steve said.

—————

The three of us walked through a mall with a hood pulled on my head and a hat and glasses on Steve.

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk." Nat said.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off." Steve said.

—————

We entered a electronic store where Nat plugged in the drive.

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up S.H.I.E.L.D. Will know exactly where we are." Nat explained.

"How much time should we have?" I ask.

"About nine minutes from," Nat plugged in the drive, "Now. Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?" Steve asked.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly." She added. "I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program that S.H.I.E.L.D. developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

"Can I help you guys with anything?" An employee asked.

"Oh, no. My fiancé, and best friend were just helping me with some honeymoon destinations." Nat said with a sweet voice wrapping her arms around Steve.

"Right. We're getting married." Steve smiled as Nat went back to the computer.

"I just wouldn't let them plan without me." I smile and say in a sweet excited voice.

"Congratulations. Where are you guys thinking about going?" The employee asked.

"New Jersey." Steve said looking over Nat's shoulder.

"Oh." The employee said before looking closely at Steve, I was worried he was going to recognize him. "I have the exact same glasses."

"Wow, you two are practically twins." Nat said in her regular voice.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen." The employee said referring to Steve's muscles and body. "If you guys need anything, I've been Aaron." Aaron said walking away.

"Thank you." I smile.

"You said nine minutes." Steve said looking at his watch.

"Come on." I rushed knowing our time was running very short and S.H.I.E.L.D. Would be heading to our location quickly.

"Relax." Nat said, "Got it." I and Steve looked closer recognizing the location but not understanding why. "You know it?"

"We used to. Let's go." Steve said pulling out the drive and heading straight for the door.

"Standard tac team." Steve explained as we walked quickly but slow enough to not seem suspicious. "Two behind, two across, and two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you hit the south escalator to the metro."

"Shut up and put your arm around me. Laugh at something I said." Nat instructed Steve. "(Y/n), you start laughing."

"What?" Steve questioned as one head straight at us.

"Do it." She repeated.

Steve quickly put his arm around her and ducked his head laughing as I smile at the two, laughing as well as the guy walked straight past us.

———

We made it to the escalator and started heading down close to the exit when I spotted Brock heading up the escalator right beside us.

    "We have a problem." I whispered.

    "Kiss me." Nat suddenly said turning to Steve.

    "What?" Steve said confused.

    "Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable." Nat explained quickly.

    "Yes, they do." Steve said.
Without another word Nat pulled him down into a long kiss as I turned my back standing behind them.

    "He's past." I say and the two quickly separate.

    "You still uncomfortable?" Nat asked as she started walking down.

   "It's not exactly the word I would use." Steve said following Nat.