6 He's Not Dead

"Come on." Steve called to Peggy as we ran through the rain.

—————

"Colonel Philips." Steve said.

"Well, if it isn't the Star-Spangled Man With A Plan. What's your plan today?" Colonel Philips asked.

"I need the casualty list from Azzano." Steve ordered.

"You don't get to give me orders, Son." Colonel Philips said.

"I just need one name." Steve started.

"Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th." I said trying to keep my voice steady.

"Agent Barnes. You and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy." Colonel Philips said to me and Peggy.

"Please just tell me he's alive, please." I beg trying to keep myself under control.

"B-A-R..." Steve started to spell.

"I can spell." Colonel Philips quickly said then looked down before he stood up looking through some papers, "I have signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count. But the name does sound familiar. I'm sorry." Colonel said turning around.

"No, it can't be." I say attempting to hold back my tears.

"What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" Steve asked.

"Yes, it's called 'winning the war.'" Colonel Philips said. At that moment it clicked in my head, Peggy said they were killed or captured meaning Bucky could still be alive.

"But if you know where they are, why not at least..." Steve started.

"My Husband, still could be alive, and your not even thinking about trying to rescue him! You're planning on leaving him to die!" I snap at Colonel as tears stream down my face, "I-I'm sorry, Sir." I said in my normal tone whipping away my tears realizing what I did. I slowly turn around and walk away still listening to the conversation.

"They're 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save. But I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl." Colonel Philips said.

"I think I understand just fine." I heard Steve answer.

"Well, then understand it somewhere else. If I read the posters correctly, you got someplace to be in 30 minutes." Colonel Philips told him and I walked the rest of the way through the rain to my tent.

—————

I knew exactly what Steve was going to do so I started packing changing into clean well enough fitting pants that didn't belong to me, boots, a shirt, jacket and gun.

"What do you plan to do, walk to Austria?" I heard Peggy ask Steve just as I was walking in to find him.

"If that's what it takes." Steve told her.

"You heard the Colonel. Your friend is most likely dead." Peggy said.

"You don't know that for sure." I say and Peggy turns around to look at me as Steve momentarily stopped packing, "If he is alive I'm not leaving him there."

"Even so, the Colonel's devising a strategy. If he detects..." Peggy started.

"By the time he's done that, it could be too late." Steve said. Steve picked up his bag and started to walk out.

"Steve! (Y/n)!" Peggy called after us as Steve put his shield in the back of a truck.

"You told me you thought I was meant for more than this. Did you mean that?" Steve asked.

"Every word." Peggy said.

"Then you got to let us go." Steve said getting in front of the wheel.

"I can do more than that." Peggy said.

—————

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind." Peggy explained to us pointing at a small map as we sat in a plane flying through the night piloted by none other than Howard Stark.

"We should be able to drop you both right on the doorstep." Howard told us.

"Just get us as close as you can." Steve said, "You know you two are gonna be in a lot of trouble when you land."

"And you won't?" Peggy asked.

"Where I'm going, if anybody yells at me, I can just shoot them." Steve smiled.

"It also depends how long we'll survive." I say.

"They will undoubtedly shoot back." Peggy said.

"Well, let's hope it's good for something." Steve said hitting his shield.

"Agent Carter? If we're not in too much of a hurry, I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late-night fondue." Howard asked.

"Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen." Peggy spoke after an awkward silence.

"He's mad enough to brave this airspace." I add.

"We're lucky to have him." Peggy said.

"So, are you two... Do you... ...fondue?" Steve asked and I sat there confused.

"This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to you." Peggy handed Steve a little metal rectangle.

"Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asked.

"It's been tested more than you, pal." Howard said.
There was a loud gunfire beside the plane. More kept firing but luckily missed every time.

"(Y/n), are you sure you want to do this? If you get hurt." Steve asks me.

"Steve, Bucky is my Husband. I'll be fine. I'm stronger than you even without the serum." I say and we both quickly get up and run to the door.

"Get back here! We're taking you all the way in!" Peggy yelled.

"As soon as we're clear, you turn this thing around and get the hell out of here!" Steve ordered as he stood by the open door.

"You can't give me orders!" Peggy protested.

"The hell I can't! I'm a Captain!" Steve said the jumped from the plane with me following close behind.
At the same time as Steve I pulled out my parachute hoping we, Peggy and Howard wouldn't get shot.