38 Accident

"All right, what do you see?" Steve asked Wanda over the radio.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quite street. It's a good target." Wanda answered as Steve and I looked out the window of an apartment building.

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?" Steve spoke.

"Cameras." Wanda finished.

"Both cross streets are one-way." I told her.

"So, compromised escape routes." Wanda said.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen." Steve stated. I looked back at the newspapers that we had layed out on the front cover of each was our old friend Brock Rumlow. "He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

    "Yeah, the red one? It's cute." Wanda observed.

    "It's also bulletproof, which means private security... which means more guns... which means more headaches or somebody. Probably us." Nat explained.

    "You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda asked.

    "Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Nat told her.

    "Any body ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked.

    "Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" Nat wondered.

    "Eyes on the target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him." Steve reminded them.

"If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us." Sam scoffed.

"Hate is an understatement." I tell him.

We hear shouting from outside and the honking of horns. Steve and I go to the window and look out to see a garbage truck.

"Sam... see that garbage truck? Tag it." Steve told him.

"That truck is loaded for max weight. And the drivers armed." Sam explained.

"It's a battering ram." Nat realized.

"Go now." Steve said.

"What?" Wanda asked.

"He's not hitting the police." I say. Steve and I run out.

Sam comes and picks up Steve as I run there.

"Body armor, AR-15s. I make seven hostiles." Steve describes.

"I make five." Sam says. "Four."
I make it over and walk up to Steve and Wanda. "Romlow's on the third floor." Sam lands.

"Wanda just like we practiced." Steve said.

"What about the gas?" She asked.

"Get it out." Steve told her as she lifted him up with her power and flew him to the third floor.

I watched Wanda's back with Sam shooting at some of the hostiles as Wanda controlled the gas, bringing it out of the building and up.

"Rumlow has the biological weapon." We hear Steve say.

"I'm on it." Nat says.

———

"Sam. He's in an AFV heading north." Steve grunts.

"I've got four, they are splitting up." Sam says.

"I got the two on the left." Nat said.

     "I got the one on the right." I say as I run after them.

"They ditched their gear. It's shell game now. One of them has the payload." Steve observed.

"He doesn't have it. I'm empty." Sam told us.

I caught up to my guy very quickly, he were easy to beat. I dug through the bag and found nothing.

"Nothing here." I tell the others.

"Payload secure." I hear Nat.

"Who's your buyer?" I heard Steve ask as I got back to the place where I last saw him.

"You know, he knew you. Your pal, your buddy, your Bucky." I froze when those last words left Romlow's lips.

"What did you say?" Steve roughly pulled Romlow closer to his face.

"He remembered you, and the girl. I was there. He got all weepy about it. Till they put his brain back in a blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me... please tell Rogers. When you gotta go... you gotta go. And you're coming with me."
Suddenly flames burst from Romlow but the blast was contained in a circle. I looked to the side to see Wanda struggling to hold it. She brought Romlow into the air before letting go and the blast was free destroying three floors of a building.

"Sam, we need fire and rescue on the south side of the building. We gotta get up there." Steve called.

"Wanda." I pull her in for a hug. "It's not your fault. But we need to go."

—————

11 Wakandans and a couple others were killed in the the building floods Wanda accidentally destroyed, it was on the news. They were blaming Wanda for the attack.

    "Five years ago I had a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life. Because after 13 hours in surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers and unpayable debt. You have fought for us... protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some... who prefer the word Vigilante." The Secretary of state, told us as we sat at a conference table Tony sat off in the corner.

    "What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat asked him.

    "How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore sovereign borders... and inflict their will wherever they choose... and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He stepped to the side, and a map appeared. Zooming in on New York, showing videos of the attack and the destruction that we created, then Washington DC and the destruction of what happened when we took down S.H.I.E.L.D., then Sokovia and what happened with Ultron and what we had to do. Then last Lagos, and what just happened there.

    "Okay. That's enough." Steve told him noticing Wanda's reaction to Lagos.

    "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power, and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He placed a large book on the table. And pushed it over to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead... they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel... only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

   "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve stated.

    "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." The secretary explained.

    "So, there are contingencies." Rhodey asked.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna... to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." The secretary, walked to the door.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asked.

"Then you retire." He simply told us.