26 You Said You Were A Pilot 

Steve knocked on a door and soon it opened.

"Hey, man." Sam said looking at Steve.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve told Sam.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Nat said.

"No everyone." Sam said stepping back letting us inside.

—————

I had a quick shower and looked over myself for any new injuries. I only had a couple but thanks to the Super-Soldier serum I heal quickly.
I sighed as I looked myself in the mirror, my body was littered with scars all from HYDRA. There were the gunshot wounds on my shoulder and leg when I escaped. Other scars were everywhere but most were difficult to see but they were there.

I looked back in the mirror then to my left shoulder,  burned in the skin was the symbol for HYDRA, something that constantly reminded me what I could never truly hide or get rid of.

When I finished drying myself off and got dressed again I stepped out of the room to find the others.

"When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D. I thought I was going straight." I overheard Nat say. "But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."

    "There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." I heard Steve say.

    "I owe you. And (Y/n)." Nat said.

    "It's okay." Steve told her.

    "If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, now you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?" Nat asked.

    "I would now." Steve said and I stepped in the doorway.

    "So would I." I smile and the two turn to look at me. "And Steve's always honest."

    "Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing." Nat said smiling at Steve as I walked over.

    "Well, guess I just like to know who I'm fighting." Steve smiled.

    "I made breakfast." Sam interrupted. "If you guys eat that sort of thing." Sam said walking away.

—————

    "So, the question is, who at S.H.I.E.L.D. Could launch a domestic missile strike?" Nat questioned as we sat at the table.

    "Pierce." I say.

   "Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Nat added.

    "But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star." Steve said.

    "So was Jasper Sitwell." Nat said.

"So, the real question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D. Officer in broad daylight?" Steve said.

"The answer is, you don't." Sam said walking over and placing a phone and file on the table.

"What's this?" Steve asked standing up.

"Call it a resume." Sam said.

Nat picked up the photo. "Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you?" Nat said, "You didn't say he was a Pararescue."

"Is this Riley?" Steve asked looking at the photo.

"Yeah." Sam said.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use? A stealth chute?" Nat asked Sam.

"No. These." Sam said handing Steve the file.

"I thought you said you were a pilot." Steve said.

"I never said pilot." Sam smiled.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason." Steve told him.

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Sam told him.

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve asked.

"The last one is at Fort Meade. Behind three guarded gates and a 12-inch steel wall." Sam explained.

"Shouldn't be a problem." I smile.

—————

   "Tell me about Zola's algorithm." Steve asked shoving Jasper Sitwell forward onto the roof of a building with me following behind Steve and Nat behind me.

    "Never heard of it." Jasper claimed putting his glasses back on.

    "What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" Steve pressed as he kept walking forward causing  Jasper to back up until he almost tripped over the ledge.
Steve grabbed him and pulled him up.

    "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers." Jasper said but there was a small quiver in his voice.

    "You're right." Steve said releasing Jasper and stepping back. "It's not. It's theirs."

Nat came forward and kicked him in the stomach causing him to fall back. Quickly I lent over and grabbed his wrist.

    "Are you ready to talk?" I asked and give him a couple seconds to respond but he says nothing, "If that's your choice." I smile and release him letting him fall.

    "Oh, wait. What about that girl from Accounting, Laura..." Nat stared searching for the name.

    "Lillian." Steve said. "Lip piercing, right?"

    "Yeah, she's cute." I say.

    "Yeah. I'm not ready for that." Steve said.

We watched Sam fly up wearing the big wings as he carried a screaming Jasper. Sam threw Jasper down on the roof before he landed on the other side of him. The wings retracted inside the backpack like thing.

    "Zola's algorithm is a program for choosing Insight's targets." Jasper quickly said as we approached him.

    "What targets?" Steve asked.

    "You! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defence, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, (Y/n) Barnes, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future." Jasper explained in a hurry still catching his breath.

    "In the future? How could it know?" Steve asked.

Jasper started laughing, "How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it. Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, emails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores! Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

    "And what then?" Steve asked.

    "Oh, my God. Pierce is gonna kill me." Jasper said to himself.

      "Who gives a dam about what Pierce will do! What then?" I yell causing Jasper to step back but Sam stopped him from moving and further back.

    "Then the Insight helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."