64 Zemo

"How was it?" I ask the two when they come out.

    "I feel better." Sam said sarcastically.

    "I feel awful." Bucky told me and we walked outside.
A siren went off, we looked to see two people standing at the car.

    "Gentlemen. Lady." John called to us as we walked over. "Good to see you again. Look, if we divide ourselves, we don't stand a chance, you guys know that."

"I'm pretty sure it works the opposite way for us and you but you can pretend." I tell them

    "So what do you got?" Sam asked.

    "Well, the leaders name's Karli Morgenthau. We've been targeting civilians who've been helping Karli move from place to place." John explained.

    "They geotagged a location, then scrambled the signal." Lemar informed us. "But our satellites have found their symbol popping up in various displaced communities all across Central and Eastern Europe."

     "We think she's taking the medicine she just stole to one of these camps." John explained.

    "Well, there are hundreds of those all over the planet since The Blip." I say.

    "So I guess you'll have to look real hard." Bucky told them.

   "Good thing I have 20/20 vision, huh?" John chuckled.

    "Where is she now, Walker? Do you know?" Bucky asked.

   "No, we don't know, Bucky." John raised his voice. "It's only a matter of time before we find out."

   "Things are really intense for you, aren't they, Walker?" Bucky asked him.

    "Take it easy. Look, Walker's right. It is imperative that we find them and stop them. But you guys have rules of engagement and all kinds of authorizations you have to get. We're fine Agents. We're more flexible. So it wouldn't make sense for us to work with you." Sam explained and we walked away.

   "A word of advice, then." John called to us. "Stay the hell out of my way."

    "I hope we never meet again." I smile.

———

   "So what are you thinking?" Sam asked

    "Well, I know what we have to do. When Isaiah said 'my people'..." Bucky said.

    "Oh, don't take that to heart. That's not what he meant." Sam told him.

    "No, he meant HYDRA. HYDRA used to be my people." Bucky told us.

    "Not a chance." Sam scoffed.

   "Walker doesn't have any leads." Bucky said.

    "I know where you're going with this, no." I told him.

    "He knows all of HYDRA's secrets. Don't you remember Siberia?" Bucky explained.

     "How could I forget forger." I say.

   "So you're just gonna go sit in a room with this guy?" Sam asked.

    "Yes." Bucky hesitated.

    "Okay then. We're gonna go see Zemo." Sam agreed.

————

We were lead through the halls by a guard.

    "He's just through that corridor." The guard pointed.

    "Give us a sec." Bucky told him and the guard left. "I'm going in alone."

    "Why?" I question.

     "You two are Avengers. You know how he feels about that." Bucky reminded us.

   "It's not like you two were known for frolickin' in the sun together." Sam told him.

    "He was obsessed with HYDRA." Bucky explained. "We have a history together. Trust me. I got it."

    "I was HYDRA too, I don't want you going in alone." I tell him.

    "Doll, but you were also one of the originals. I'll be fine." He put his hand on my cheek.

     "All right." I sigh and he leaves.

————

   "What are you talking about?" Sam asked.

    "You wanna break Zemo outta jail?" I questioned.

    "Where the hell are we, Buck? Have you lost your mind?" Sam asked.

     "We have no leads, no moves, nothing." Bucky told us as we walked through the dark wear house we flashed lights.

    "What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam reminded him.

    "We also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose." Bucky pointed out.

   "Zemo's gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours and (Y/n)'s. No offence." Sam said.

    "Offence." Bucky told him finding the light switch and turning it on. "Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code."

    "I've been on the wrong side of that code and so have you and (Y/n). He blew up the UN, killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget that? You think the Wakandans forgot about it? It's a rhetorical question. They didn't. I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end." Sam explained.

    "Sam, we don't know how they're gettin' the serum. We don't even know how many of them there are. Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I?" Bucky asked.

    "What did you do?" I wondered.

    "I didn't do anything." Bucky claimed. "The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware. The human element. Now, in this lockup, it's a nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, then the protocol says four guards have to respond."

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" Sam wondered.

"Who knows? There could be many reasons... But the point is, these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated, and with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallway or two. And if the fire alarm got tripped while the prisoners were being separated... someone could use the chaos to their advantage." Bucky explained.

"I don't like how casual you're bein' about this." Sam said. "This is unnatural. Are you... And where are we, man?" The door opens. "Whoa. Whoa, whoa. Hey."

"No, listen." Bucky spoke.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Zemo.

"I didn't tell 'cause I knew you two wouldn't let this happen." Bucky explained.

"What did you do?" Sam asked.

"We need him." Bucky said.

"You're going back to prison!" Sam yelled.

"If I may..." Zemo spoke.

"NO!" The three of us yelled.

"Apologies." Zemo looked down.

"When Steve refused to sign the Sokovia Accords, you two backed him. You two broke the law, and you stuck your neck out for me." Bucky reminded us.

"I didn't just back him up I also had no intention of signing it. And you know that reason why I broke the law." I say.

"I know, but Sam I'm asking you to do it again." Bucky told him.

"I really think I'm invaluable..." Zemo said.

"Shut up." Sam told him. "Okay. If we do this, you don't make a move without our permission."

"Fair." Zemo agreed.

"Okay, Zemo, where do we start?" Sam asked.