28 Goodbye S.H.I.E.L.D.

I sat there in the back of a S.H.I.E.L.D. Truck with Steve, Nat and Sam and two S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents wearing masks.

    "I was him." Steve said, "He looked right at us like he didn't even know us."

    "How is that even possible? It was, like, 70 years ago." Sam said.

    "Zola." I say.

    "Bucky's whole unit was captured in'43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..." Steve said.

    "None of that's your fault, Steve, (Y/n)." Nat said weakly.

    "Even when I had nothing. I had Bucky." I say.

   "We need to get a doctor here. If we don't put pressure on that wound, she's gonna bleed out here in the truck." Sam asked.
I remember my own injury, I felt a strong pain when I moved. I knew it would heal quickly but that didn't stop the pain or the blood for the time being.

One of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents took out its taser to threaten Sam but to the surprise of all of us the Agent attacked the other Agent kicking him unconscious.

    "Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain." Agent Hill said as she revealed her face. "Who is this guy?" She asked referring to Sam.

————

We stepped out of the truck as Agent Hill led the way inside. I kept my hands pressed to my wound.

"GSW. She's lost at least a print." Hill called as we walked in a dim hallway.

A man came running over.

"Maybe two." Sam said.

"Let me take her." The man said.

"She'll want to see him first." Hill said.

—————

She pulled back a curtain to reveal Fury in a hospital bed only a living Fury.

"About damn time." He groaned. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." Fury explained as they started patching Nat.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." The man who was patched up Nat reminded.

"Let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." Fury told us.

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped." Nat said.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Fury explained.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked.

"Any attempt on the Director's life had to look successful." Hill said.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Fury said.

"Are you sure now?" I ask.

————

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize." Fury said looking at a photo of Pierce as he sat wearing his regular clothes. "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gets me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch." Nat said.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." He said opening up a briefcase.

"What's that?" Sam asked looking at the three chips inside the case.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized." Hill explains showing us her computer screen.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury said.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." Hill said.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left..." Fury started.

"We're not salvaging anything." I interrupted.

"We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve told him.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Had nothing to do with this." Fury defeated.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Has everything to do with this." I say.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s been compromised. You said so yourself." Steve explained.

"HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." I say.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury said.

"How many paid the price before you did?" I ask and the room goes quiet for a bit.

"Look, I didn't know about your Husband." Fury apologized.

"Even if you had, would you have told us?" I questioned.

"Or would you have compartmentalized that, too?" Steve added. "S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes."

"They're right." Hill said.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam said after Fury looked around for someone to back him up.

"Well..." Fury sighed. "It looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

—————

Steve and I both stood looking out on the top of the bridge not speaking to each other but both thinking about Bucky.

I didn't want to believe it but it was true. My Husband was alive and was trapped in the exact same place I was, I never knew he was there, I never knew he was alive.

    "He's gonna be there, you know." Sam said walking over.

    "I know." Steve said.

    "Look, whoever he used to be and the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save." Sam said making me angry but I kept myself under control. "He's the kind you stop."

    "I don't know if I can do that." Steve said.

    "Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you." Sam tells us.

    "He will." Steve says, "Gear up. It's time." Steve walks away.

    "You gonna wear that?" Sam asked.

    "No. If you're gonna fight a war, you got to wear a uniform." Steve told Sam.

—————

Me, Sam, Hill and Steve. Steve and I wearing our now technically stolen uniform that we wore in the 40's as we walked to S.H.I.E.L.D.