50 Fix This

We run out of the compound, it was a clear night but what draw our attention was the giant space ship in the yard. Pepper, Nat, Rhodey, Banner, I and Steve watched as Captain Marvel/ Carol lowered the ship down.

Steve and I ran over as Tony limped down the stairs with a blue girl helping him.

"Couldn't stop him." Tony panted.

"Neither could I." Steve told him.

"Hang on." Tony stopped. "I lost the kid."

"Tony, we lost." I say.

"Is, uh...?" Tony hoped. "Oh, good." Pepper ran up.

"Oh, my God!" She pulled Tony in. "Oh, my God!"

"It's okay." Tony told her.

—————

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey said as we all stood in the room, Tony I'm a wheelchair.

    "The World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working... are trying to take a census and it looks like he did... He did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out... 50% of all living creatures." Nat explained.

     "Where is he now? Where?" Tony asked.

      "We don't know." Steve told him.

"He just opened a portal and walked through." I say.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony pointed at Thor.

"Oh, he's pissed." Rocket the raccoon spoke. "He thinks he failed. Which, of course, he did... but there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." Tony admitted to Rocket.

"Maybe I am." Rocket told him.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans... and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him." Steve said.

"Who told you that?" Tony wondered. "I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet... while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight, 'cause he's not beatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates?" Steve asked.

"Anything?" I hope.

"Uh..." Tony sputtered. "I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus." Steve stood up.

"And I needed you. As in, past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late, buddy. Sorry." Tony told him. "You know what I need? I need to shave." Tony cluttered a cup on the table before standing up. "And I believe I remember telling all youse..."

"Tony, Tony!" Rhodey said as Tony ripped the IV out of his arm.

"...alive and otherwise, that what we needed was the suit of armour around the world. Remember that?" Tony raised his voice ignoring Rhodey. "Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out did it." Steve reminded him.

"I said we'd lose. You said, 'We'll do that together, too.' And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the 'Avengers'. We're the 'Avengers,' not the 'Pre-avengers.'"

"Okay." Rhodey tried to calm down Tony.

"Right?" Tony asked.

"You made your point. Just sit down, okay." Rhodey told him.