65 Jet

Zemo turned the lights on inside a large garage.

"So our first move is grand theft auto?" Sam wondered as we looked at all the old fancy cars.

"These are mine. Collected by my family over the generations." Zemo explained. "I spent years hunting people HYDRA recruited to recreate the serum. Because once it's out there, someone can create an army of people... like the Avengers." Zemo got a coat out for one of the cars. "I ended the Winter Soldier program once before. I have no intention to leave my work unfinished. To do this we'll have to scale a ladder of lowlifes."

"Well, join the party. We've already started." Sam said.

"First stop is a woman named Shelby." Zemo walked out of the car, carrying a bag and the coat. "Mid-level fence I still have a line on. From there, we climb."

————

We walked up to a jet an old man stood at the stairs waiting.

"So all this time you've been rich?" Sam asked.

"I'm a Baron, Sam. My family was royalty until your friends destroyed my country." Zemo said and walked up to the old man.
"Hello, Oeznik." Zemo greeted in Russian.

"Welcome, gentlemen and lady." Oeznik greeted in Russian.

"Old friend." Zemo gave the old man a hug and we followed Zemo onto the jet.

————

"Apologies if that is a little warm, the fridge is out." Oeznik told Zemo in English handing him a drink. "But I will see if there is some good food in the gallery."

"If it doesn't pass the smell test..." Zemo told him in Sokovian. "Give it to them."

"It's good to have you back, Sir." Oeznik laughed in English and chuckled as he left.

"Lovely to have you back." I give Zemo a fake smile as I tell him that in Sokovian. He looked at me a little shocked.

"I see I have to be more careful." Zemo smiled at me and spoke in Sokovian.

Sam sat facing Zemo and I sat beside Zemo with Bucky facing me in the first class seats of the jet.

"You don't know what it's like to be locked in a cell. Oh. That's right. You do." Zemo said.

"Why don't you tell us about where we're going?" Sam asked.

"I'm, sorry. I was just fascinated by this." Zemo looks down in the book. "I don't know what to call it, but this part seems important." I look over Zemo's shoulder. I see the little notebook that Steve used when he first came out the ice, and that Bucky now uses, hidden behind another open book. "Who is Nakajima?"
At that name book, Bucky got out of his chair, grab Zemo's neck and pushed him back against the seat.

"If you touch that again, I'll kill you." Bucky released Zemo, taking the book and sat back down.

"I'm sorry." Zemo apologized. "I understand that list of names. People you've wronged as the Winter Soldier."

"Don't push it." Bucky warned.

"I've seen that book." Sam said. "It was Steve's when he came out of the ice. I told him about Trouble Man he wrote it in that book. Did you hear it? What'd you think."

"I like '40's music, so..." Bucky spoke.

"You didn't like it?" Sam asked.

"I liked it." Bucky told him.

"It is a masterpiece, James. Complete. Comprehensive. Captures the African-American experience." Zemo described.

"He's out of line, but he's right. It's great." Sam said. "Everybody loves Marvin Gaye."

"I like Marvin Gaye." Bucky mentioned.

"Steve adored Marvin Gaye." Sam told him.

"You must have really looked up to Steve. But I realized something when I met him. The danger with people like him, America's Super Soldiers, is that we put them on pedestals."

"Careful with your mouth." I warn Zemo.

"They become symbols. Icons. And then we start to forget about their flaws. From there, cities fly, innocent people die. Movements are formed, wars are fought. You remember that, right? As a young Soldier sent to Germany to stop a mad icon." Zemo looks to Bucky and me. "Do we want to live in a world full of people like the Red Skull? That's why weird going to Madripoor."

"What's up with a Madripoor?" Sam asked. "You guys talk about it like its skull island."

"It's an island nation in the Indonesian archipelago. It was a pirate sanctuary back in there 1800s." Bucky explained.

"It's kept its lawless ways. But we cannot exactly walk in as ourselves. James, (Y/n), you two will have to become someone you claim is gone." Zemo told us.

————

We walked across a bridge in the quiet night towards the bright city.

"We have to do something about this." Sam looked at his clothes. "I'm the only one who looks like a pimp."

"Only an American would assume a fashion-forward Black man looks like a pimp. you look exactly like the man you're supposed to be playing. The sophisticated, charming African rank named Conrad Mack, aka the Smiling Tiger." Zemo told him and showed Sam a picture.

"He even has a bad nickname. Hell, he does look like me, though." Sam said shocked.

"You smell this?" Zemo asked.

"Yeah, what is that? Acid?" Sam wondered.

"Madripoor. No matter what happens, we have to stay in character." Zemo told us. "Our lives depend on it. There's no margin for error. High Town's that way. Not a bad place if you wanna visit, but Low Town's the other way."

"Let me guess. We don't have any friends and High Town." Sam said.

We got in the black car that drove up for us, I sat in the back with Sam and Bucky. People wearing masks riding on motorcycles drove in front and behind.

We followed Zemo through the building and people.