67 Madripoor

We walked through the streets as cell phones chimed around us.

    "This is not good." Zemo sighed.

We turned a corner and a man started shooting.

    "Shit!" I shouts as we ducked and started running.

    "I can't run in these heels!" Sam yelled.

    "Take 'em off." I told him as we ran.

Gunshots came from a window in a building but they shot at the people shouting at us.

     "You seem to have a guardian angel." Zemo said walking up.

    "Well, this is too perfect." We heard a woman say. I look as she steps into the light holding a gun at Zemo. "Drop it, Zemo."

    "Sharon?" Bucky questioned.

   "You cost me everything." Sharon walked closer.

   "Sharon, wait." Sam told her. "Someone recreated the super-soldier serum and Zemo had a lead."

"That explains why you guys are here. And Selby's dead." Sharon said.

"What are you doing here?" I wondered.

"I stole Steve's Shield, remember? I also took the wings for you." Sharon pointed at Sam with the gun then me. "And your suit for your ass, so that you could save his ass from his ass. I didn't have the Averages to back me up. So I'm off the grid in Madripoor."

"Don't blow smoke. I was on the run, too, with (Y/n)." Sam told her.

"Was. Is. Big difference. I don't speak to my family anymore. I can't. My own Father doesn't know where I am." Sharon told us.

"Listen... Sharon, we need your help." Bucky said and she just laughed. "Please."

"This isn't over." She sighs. "I have a place in High Town. You'll be safe there for a while." Sharon lead us off.

————

She drove us to her place, it was big.

"Looks like breaking all those laws is treating you well." Sam looked around.

"I thought if I had to hustle, might as well enjoy the life of a real hustler. You know how much I can get for a real Monet?" Sharon told us.

"Deactivate your hustle mode. You sell fake Monets." Sam said.

"No. She means real. This gallery is specialized in stolen artwork." Zemo confirmed. "Monet. Van Gogh. Classics."

"It's true. You know, half the artwork in the museums like the Louvre is fake." Bucky told him.

"Real stuff sits in places like this." I say looking out at the room with cases filled with artefacts and art.

"Okay, guys, I see what you're doing. You're more worldly than good old Sam." Sam said.

"Yeah. What's Google say?" Bucky wondered.

"No shit." Sam looked up from his phone realizing we were right.

"You guys need to change." Sharon called after us. "I'm hosting clients in an hour."

————

"What's going on, Sharon?" Sam asked as he pulled a shirt off a coat rack. Bucky and I sat on the couch and Zemo got a drink. "You don't even wanna come back home?"

"They'll lock me up if I step foot back in the States. Madripoor doesn't allow extradition." Sharon told us.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't call." Sam apologized. "But after The Blip and the chaos, I just..."

"Look, you know the whole hero thing is a joke, right? The way you gave up that Shield, deep down, you must know it's all hypocrisy." Sharon told him.

"He knows." I say.

     "And not so deep down." Zemo added.

"By the way, how is the new Cap?" Sharon asked.

"Don't get me started." Bucky told her.

"Please." Sharon scoffed and walked over to us. "You buy into all that Stars and Stripes bullshit. Before you were his pet psychopath, you two were Mrs. and Mr. America! Cap's best friends."

"Wow. She's kind of awful now." Bucky said.

"I have a strong urge to strangle him." I smile at her.

"Karli Morgenthau and at least seven others have taken the serum." Sam told Sharon sitting down.

"You guys really should steer clear of all of this for your own safety." Sharon suggested.

"We know it's a risk, but we're not gonna leave until we find the one who cracked the code." Sam told her.

"We got a name. Wilfred Nagel." Bucky said.

"Nagel works for the Power Broker." Sharon went to pour herself a drink.

"We need your help, Sharon. I can get your name cleared." Sam offered.

"You haggling with my life?" Sharon asked.

"Not like that." Sam claimed.

"I don't buy that. You pretending like you can clear my name." Sharon said.

"Okay, maybe it is hypocrisy. Maybe you're right." Sam walked over to her. "What happened to you? But I'm willing to try if you are. They cleared the bionic staring machine, and he killed almost everybody he's met."

"I heard that." Bucky informed them.

"I don't trust charity." Sharon told us.

"All right, a deal then." Sam proposed. "You help us out, and I get your name cleared." Sharon excepted shaking Sam's hand.

"Well, I sell to some pretty connected people. Lay low, blend in, enjoy the party. Try to stay outta trouble. I'll see what I can find." Sharon walked off.

"Trouble." Zemo smiled.

————

Upbeat music played as the place was full of people dancing. I stayed in the back with Bucky as Zemo danced for a bit before joining.

"Hey, guys. I found him." Sharon walked over.

"Here we go." Sam said.

—————

We walk through the maze of crates in a shipping yard.

"Madripoor could give New York a run for its money." Sam said.

"They know how to party." Zemo told us.

"With that bounty on your head, the longer you're in Madripoor, the less likely you're ever leaving." Sharon told us leading us through the crates. "All right. He's in there. Container four-two-six-one. I'll keep an eye out while you guys talk to Nagel. But hurry. We're on borrowed time." She held out ear pieces for all of us. And we walked to the container. It creaked as Sam opened the door.