Twelve

I walk into the emergency room, Benji already told me where to find Emily's room.

"Beca!" Benji exclaims once he sees me walk into Emily's room. I gasp at the sight of poor Emily. She didn't deserve this.

"What the hell happened?" I ask in disbelief of what is before my eyes.

"Well, she was on her way to meet me at a restaurant for dinner..." Benji wraps his right hand around his left as he explains. "And I got a call from her mom, saying she was here by herself, and that her car crashed..." After Benji explains, the door creaks open and the nurse walks in.

"I just need to type some things into the computer, you may stay." Benji and I nod, even though if the nurse said we couldn't stay, we wouldn't budge.

I pretty much zone out, sitting in a chair next to Emily as Benji and the nurse go back and forth with questions and answers.

"Please wake up." I whisper, so Benji and the nurse can't hear. "Benji needs you to wake up, the girls need you to wake up. Even I need you to wake up, you're my friend." I don't think I've ever used the word 'friend' for a person. Not even Jesse, I've never called him my friend. I haven't really thought of what to call my a ca people.

"Beca?" Benji taps on my shoulder, and I realize the nurse has left.

"Yeah?" I reply, not daring to look into the scared man's eyes.

"Um, this is Emily's mom, Mrs Junk." He introduces me to an older lady, obviously having Emily's face features.

"Hi Beca," her mom surprises me with a sympathetic hug. "how is she doing?"

"Okay, I mean, I just got here like ten minutes ago." I tell her, she nods.

"My poor little girl." Her mom crouches down her she is face to face with an unconscious Emily.

"She's so pretty." Benji whispers to himself.

"She really loved you, you know." Mrs. Junk turns her head to look at Benji. "She came to my house last weekend, I asked her about her love life, she mentioned you about a thousand times. 'Oh yeah, peanut butter sherbert is Benji's favorite'." She tries her best to imitate her daughter, which isn't too bad.

"Really?" Benji's eyes light up.

"Really, Benji."

"I'm going to go get some coffee." I speak up as I walk out the door.