Thirty- four

Beca

I rush into the hospital with a Subway bag and I grab my Dad into a hug as soon as I am close enough. Poor guy.
"We were at the mall and she was complaining about how her arm was hurting, so I said 'okay, let's go home then', when we reached the front doors, she passed out. I don't know what happened." He wasn't crying yet, but I knew he was close to it.
"Is she awake yet?"
He shakes his head. "No, she's sleeping." I hand him his sandwich and we find two chairs to sit on while we eat. I rub his back while he eats. "You should go see her." He chokes out.
"What, why?"
"In case she doesn't come back-" I almost scold him for thinking like that, but he doesn't let me say anything. "I do want her with me, Bec, I really do. But in case she ends up passing away, I think you should say goodbye."
//
"Sheila, step-mom, step-monster..." I chuckle when I'm faced with her unconsciousness. "I need to talk to you. Don't go. I may not like you a whole lot, but my Dad loves you. You take care of him and I know you love him, too. Please. Just give both of us a break and wake the hell up. Sorry, heck. Don't go, he needs you." I hold her hand for a few seconds and then I leave.

" I hold her hand for a few seconds and then I leave

"I said goodbye." I tell my Dad.
"Good." He smiles painfully.
36 hours later...
"Sir, Miss..." We are awaken when a nurse shakes us. "Your wife, sir, she's awake. The doctor would like to see you both." We nod and follow the nurse.
//
"Sir, I'm afraid your wife has bone cancer."