Aphrodite's page: the trophy boy

Hyunjin's narrative

"Your son is so beautiful."

"He will be a heartbreaker."

"Exactly like his mother."

"He will become such a handsome God."

"We should keep our daughters away from him haha!"

That's all I heard for the first years of my life.

How beautiful are my eyes, my hair, my face, my lips... How beautiful I was.

Mom was walking around Olympus, holding my hand and displaying me like some sort of new shoes. I was her prettiest accessory.

Once she was done with me, she would leave me at Hephaestus's temple to sleep there.

She had "other plans".

I didn't know what she was doing. I was too gullible and young.

Hephaestus wasn't necessary a bad father figure.

I knew he wasn't my father, but he tried his best. And he was a good husband too.

We used to have dinner together once a week. We were like a family. It felt like that.

"Hyunjin, this is Minho! Play with him a little while me and his father are talking like adults, okay?"

My mom pushed me forward to greet the kid.

He was so innocent then. Big glassy eyes and hands full of bruises. He couldn't even say a word in front of me.

I tried everything to make him open up. I even brought my favourite ball and started passing it back and forth.

He slowly gave in and I saw a smile on his pale face.

The more courage he gathered the harder he threw the ball.

He had force. Even for the son of Ares, he was insanely strong. And he wasn't even aware of it.

From that day it become a routine for him to come at me, grab my tunic and beg me with his eyes to play with him.

He was so excited about it.

I was quite bored, but he didn't seem to fall into the ordinary. He was constantly focused on the ball.

"How was your playtime with Minho?" Hephaestus asked me while tucking me in bed.

"As always. He doesn't want to try anything else. He is kind of annoying."

"Hyunjin-ah... Just because it became a habit, it doesn't mean it's bad. If he can be this happy over something so small, his heart must be pure and lonely. I don't think he loves the game, but rather his partner. He is happy to have a friend. So play along, okay? He will start talking with time. Maybe you will form a connection. Be nice with him, okay?"

"Okay." I sullened.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

To my shame, I didn't get to keep my promise. And reflecting now upon my actions, I am guilty of more than I admitted to.

The day after I said I will give Minho a chance, the ball he threw made its way a bit further. He must have used all his strength.

I went after it and spotted a boy under the shadow of an old tree brought up there for its sweet heavenly apples.

He was holding an odd object in his hands. I was drawn by it.

"Hello?"

The boy looked up and seemed very surprised to encounter someone.