The Fates

-Lady Miyeon, how did you meet Changbin? Felix asked.

-Every single inhabitant of the Underworld knows Master Changbin. He's a notorious figure and no one dares to touch the child of Lord Hades and Lady Persephone.

-But you're half titan, aren't you? How does that work?

-Felix, leave her alone, Changbin sensed Miyeon getting uncomfortable by the question.

-Did I do something wrong? Felix panicked. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-

-That's alright, Miyeon smiled. Thank you for your consideration, Master Changbin, but I can reveal this to your husband.

-Please don't call him that, Changbin whined.

-Why are you being a jerk? Hyunjin nudged him.

-Look who learned a new word, Changbin avoided the question.

-I thought you liked Felix, Hyunjin kept going.

-You don't know a damn thing.

-As a child of a Goddess and a titan, it can get confusing, Miyeon replied to Felix. As gods, we're bound to kneel before Zeus, as Underworld inhabitants we must obey Hades, yet as titans we have the urge to listen to the call of Kronos. That's why creatures like me are likely to die first if a war was to ignite. We are dangerous and easily manipulated. We cannot step out of the word of our master, but if we have three that have different visions, we choose to die and escape the misery. Peace is our only shot and Lord Hades' empire is our sanctuary. He can hide us.

-But you're not obliged to be here. You can go outside, right?

-I can. I choose not to.

-Why?

-Felix, Changbin's voice became harsher.

-I guess I'm scared... I don't know what's up there. We're taught to be happy here. I am grateful for what I have.

-But do you wanna see the world?

-Felix!

The freckled turned startled by the scream.

-Enough is enough. Miyeon is not allowed up there.

-Why not? You can't tell her what she can't do! Felix got defensive.

-I can. Because one step out there and she dies. I'm protecting her, not gatekeeping her.

-What? Felix stepped back ashamed of his lashing out.

-She cannot leave the Underworld, Felix. No one here can. This is the dumpster for Olympus. All the broken ones are brought here. If they step aside, the gods will kill them all.

-But that's not fair...

-It's not. No one said the gods are fair.

-Such wise words coming from you, Master Changbin, a woman's voice thundered all of a sudden.

The prince looked behind and spotted a small temple.

-Soyeon? he asked squinting his eyes to see better in the distance.

-Indeed I am, she lured them to approach the spinning wheel.

Three women were standing next to the wooden object, watching carefully every move of the visitors.

They bowed one after the other in front of Changbin and each picked a person they focused their gazes on.

-These are the daughters of the Fates, everyone! Changbin clarified. Jihyo is the daughter of Clotho who spins the thread of human fate, Soyeon of Lachesis who dispenses it and Irene of Atropos who cuts it. They know the past, the present and future.

The three were clothed in the finest black silks flapping in the dry wind of the Underworld.