𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Darkness.

All that was there to be seen was darkness, not the kind of darkness in which you can barely distinguish figures, it was the pure and raw, deep black darkness of the night.

Fast pacing steps and the sound of breaking branches under the weight of the beast. That was all both brothers could hear.

They had been in this unstoppable and restless chase. A chase that began 2 months ago, after the Keepers had received a notice about a beast relentlessly and cold- bloodedly killing on the outskirts of Chester, Cheshire in Britain. In the last 3 full moons the beast had killed about 30 people, and across the town question were starting to rise about the nature of such creature, for they had sent patrol after patrol, and poacher after poacher, and barely any of them had returned with less than one limb missing, or, in a casket.

And they couldn't help but think they would be the next ones to appear in caskets. Since the moment the beast appeared after being lured with the traps, every ounce of control they thought they had, was lost. The restless beast destroyed everything in its path with its gigantic body, moving so effortlessly and dangerously that it separated the group, their father and brother had to take a different side of the forest. The brothers could only run, trying to lure the beast to the final stage of their trap, the clearing in which they could shoot it down.

But their hopes and spirits went down after waiting for their companions to arrive, because they never did. They could hear nothing as they approached the moonlighted clearing, because it was too late to change their maneuvers, too late after realizing that the hunters, had been played, being separated only reduced their chances of making it to morning alive.

They could have prepared themselves for anything, except for what happened.

They could have never been prepared for a so-called beast tending them a trap, so meticulously crafted.

As both brothers continued to breathlessly run, tripping over the overgrown roots on the floor, they started to hear it, the four-legged galloping of the beast, but it was so confusing, one moment it sounded in one side, the next one in the other, for moments it felt the beast was just behind them and next it felt as if it was ahead.

The moment they stopped running, was the moment their fate was sealed. As the beast started to circle them, the only thing in their minds was the relief of knowing their mother and baby sister were safe at home.

After taking a breath, with the intent of calming his drum-beating heart, Alistair tensed his bow's string, aiming the silver arrow covered in wolfsbane into the dark, he felt relief knowing all his years of perfecting the art of archery weren't wasted after he heard the beast painful howl. At the same time, his brother started to empty his wolfsbaned bullets. But, apart from the pain, the beast felt anger, raging anger.

It was this surge of rage and overwhelming adrenaline that made the beast leap from the shadows into Alistair back, grabbing with its claws his left shoulder and throwing him into a tree, hitting his head, seeing the world losing clarity and filling with stardust.

After tense moments of hearing with noise in his ears, and stumbling to his feet, Alistair tried to reach the place where the beast was over his brother, who was still so bravely emptying all the ammo he had in his handguns to no avail, as the beast's strokes were not losing power. Alistair was screaming, trying to gain the beast's attention, and failing with every attempt.

And at that moment he connected eyes with his brother, in his last breaths, encouraging him to give the final stroke.

Alistair woke up.

He woke up screaming, one word, one single word, a name, the eternal remembrance of his failure, of his ineptitude to respond in time. Panting and trying to recover his breath, hi kept mouthing the name, his late brother's name.

"Hermes"

*:;;;;;:*★*:;;;;;:*★*:;;;;;:*★*:;;;;;:*★*:;;;;;:*★*:;;

- 696   words -

Author's note

Here's the prologue, and the real beginning of this new journey that I'll feel honored if you walk with me. 

Do you guys have any question? I think it'd be just fine to answer questions related to the lore that don't reveal anything from the plot 👀 Leave your questions. 

Also, I think an update per week is just fine, as I don't really have much already made and well, I have a life and stuff xd still haven't decided which day imma keep updating, but I'll let you know. 

Thank you for being here and have a nice weekend <3

- 𝒿. 𝒻. 𝒸. 🐼💜