𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

The only thing to be heard were the sounds of the heavy raindrops ricocheting on the grass. The rain was heavy, and it only seemed to get thicker with each passing second.

Over five centuries of life – technically a thousand, but he preferred to skip the centuries Klaus kept him in a casket with a dagger on his heart – and Kol was still mesmerized by the way Nature found its way into anything and everything. Perhaps that was the reason he's always found himself drawn to witches.

Of course, even if he was a vampire, and therefore, immortal, he would have chosen to stay under a roof – perhaps spending time with Alistair – but his nieces asked, and he was barely getting to know Michelle. He had a soft spot, not that anyone needed to know.

No matter how much he thought about it, it was simply stupid of them to try and ambush these werewolves in the freaking school lacrosse field. But anyway.

There was the sound of running from here. The sound of hitting metal – perhaps a bus – from there. the sound of growling as they ran. Oh, someone fell, and, oh, someone got hit by an arrow. All the altercation followed until Lori – as the guy called her – stopped in the middle of the field.

One by one, all the lights of the field were turned on. It was so dark, and the only thing in the field were the two teenage wolves. Their soaked frames illuminated by over a hundred light bulbs. They were shivering, and probably resigned to death.

It was probably a smart move. All the assassins were under the lights, their identities hidden in the darkness, while they blinded the wolves. And one by one, at least twenty different laser sights appeared, all of them dancing over the shivering frames of the teenagers, from every direction.

"Brett, what's happening?!" the girl asked over the sound of the rain.

"Close your eyes," the boy said, his voice resigned to their fate.

And then came the piercing sound of an arrow being fired, crossing the field. It only took him half a second to leave his spot for Kol to appear right in front of the wolves, grasping the wooden arrow, and breaking it.

With a sharp inhale, both teens looked at him, but Kol only frowned.

"Get your arses off here!" he yelled. And the other followed his command. And one by one, at least fifty arrows were fired. But all Kol had to do was move one step at the time, to him, the arrows seemed to be coming in slow motion – blessed be the tarnished soul of his bitch of a mother for their vampiric senses.

From behind, he saw how Michelle took the other two to safety. One by one, he heard how Hope took care of the assassins. Michelle's family probably understood the necessity for a few necks snapped.

Because moments later, every sound stopped, and the arrows ceased. Hope walked into the light, under the heavy rain, and with a swift move of her hands, all the lights went off.

(...)

"What did she say?" Lydia pressed, the moment the sheriff walked out.

"Hard to tell. There were words, I'm not actually sure there were sentences," the man said.

"Nothing," Lydia concluded with a sigh. Poor sheriff Stilinski looked just as frustrated.

"You can't expect human answers if you're speaking with a Banshee," Alistair said. "Especially one that's so far gone in her gift as Meredith."

The sheriff moved to grab the telephone. "Tell me you're not trying to call a psychiatric or a medium," Alistair insisted. The sheriff made sheepish gesture, while putting the phone down.