𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

Once Mr. Yukimura's class began, Alistair found himself witnessing a series of really funny and awkward events that began to unfold in front of him. It all started when Kira approached Scott, stumbling over her words as she introduced herself, only to realize, seconds too late, that he already knew her. Trying to recover, she mumbled and stuttered, causing Alistair to bite his lip and cover his mouth with his fist to stifle his laughter, enjoying the show like a new movie in the theater. Recomposing herself, Kira then proceeded to explaining that she made research on Bardo for Scott, which the Keeper thought extremely cute. She started to search for it on her backpack. But then, as if an orchestra director has given the sign for the last part of the musical piece, in this case, a horrible and unsettling one, Kira's father entered the classroom and very loudly announced that she had forgotten the research she had done for the boy she liked before leaving to teach his class as if nothing had happened, leaving a mortified Kira and a dumbstruck Scott. All of this, with Alistair dying in silent laughter in the back.

That was the last Alistair saw or heard before the class officially started.

As Mr. Yukimura began a review of the day's topic, he asked Stiles to come to the front and read aloud. Reluctantly, Stiles obliged, but as he stood in front of the class, Alistair noticed him gripping the lectern tightly, his breathing becoming rapid and uncontrolled. Stiles appeared lost and disoriented, scanning the room with a clouded gaze, his knuckled already white.

Without hesitation, Alistair rose from his seat, with Scott following closely behind. Approaching Stiles, Alistair placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder and addressed the professor, saying, "We'll take him to the nursing." Mr. Yukimura simply nodded in understanding, slightly worried about the boy.

As they made their way to the bathrooms, Stiles detached himself from Alistair, stumbling and fumbling, bumping into walls and doors along the way. Once inside, he stood before the sink, staring at his reflection in the mirror, repeating that he must be dreaming and had to wake up.

Scott began to panic, his anxiety escalating alongside the other boy's. Sensing the urgency, Alistair's voice grounded the others, offering a sense of calm. "Stiles, tell us what we can do," he said.

In a breathless and agitated voice, Stiles responded, "Count your fingers. You have more in dreams."

"How many fingers do I have?" Scott pressed, eager for Stiles to focus on him.

Gently guiding Stiles towards Scott, Alistair held his head softly, ensuring his eyes met Scott's hand. As Scott presented his hands, Stiles began counting, one finger at a time. With each count, Alistair felt Stiles' agitation subside, his breathing steadying.

Now with his breathing regulated, Stiles slumped to the floor, clutching his head. "What the hell is wrong with me?" he exclaimed.

Scott attempted to sound reassuring, though doubt lingered in his voice. "We'll figure it out. You'll be okay."

Anxious and teary-eyed, Stiles shook his head. "Scott, you can't control your shifting, Allison is being hunted by her dead aunt, and me... I'm losing my mind." Tears welled up as he continued, "We can't help Malia. We can't help anyone."

"We have to try. We can't give up," Scott insisted, his gaze shifting to Alistair, who remained standing, seeking for support.

Kneeling beside them, Alistair squeezed Stiles' shoulder, his voice firm and clear. "We'll try. We'll take it one day at a time. And you won't be alone, not on a single step." The other boys nodded, their expressions a mix of fear and newfound determination.

(...)

In front of the door, outside the house, he heard as the sound of bullets filled the air, the man recklessly fired round after round, the impact of his shots echoing against the ceiling. He locked eyes with the girl beside him, silently communicating their plan. With a nod of agreement, he kicked open the door, creating a wide opening, while they both took cover on opposite sides of the wall, baiting the man to come outside.