𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

After what felt like an eternity of struggling, the door finally yielded, allowing them to the room. Isaac laid on the floor, his body contorted in distress, his hands clutching his chest as his body spasmed as if he was having convulsions. Esther's heart sank as she reached out to touch his face, only to witness him flinch away in pain. Concern etched deeply in her voice, she exclaimed, "David, he's freezing!"

Isaac seemed entranced, his eyes darting aimlessly around the room, but David knew he wasn't actually seeing anything. David, with resolve, took hold of Isaac's forearm. In a grave tone, he said, "I'm sorry, but you have to trigger your healing." Without hesitation, he exerted pressure on the forearm until the resounding crack of bone breaking filling the air. In that moment, Isaac's eyes ignited with a fierce yellow glow, accompanied by a guttural growl mingled with the anguished howl of pain.

Slowly regaining his awareness, Isaac managed to crawl and lean against the bed, his body still trembling with the aftershocks of the ordeal. Tears welled in his eyes as he spoke in a fragile, shaky voice, "D-Did you see them?" David leaned closer, his gaze filled with concern, urging Isaac to continue. "There were five of them," Isaac whispered, his voice filled with fear. "Dressed in black with masks, I-I couldn't recognize them, they were completely covered." The tremor in Isaac's voice revealed his palpable terror.

Esther's eyes widened with alarm as she interjected, "What do you mean masks?" Isaac's head shook softly, his voice barely audible as he revealed, "Just masks, that's all I could see. But I saw one's eyes. They were yellow and green." He locked eyes with Esther, before saying in a soft tone, more similar to a whisper, "Like fireflies."

Both adults rose to their feet, their shared concern mirrored in their expressions. David extended a helping hand to Isaac, while Esther instinctively glanced toward the window, searching for any signs of intrusion. "How did they get in?" she questioned; her voice laced with urgency.

Isaac, still catching his breath, shook his head weakly. "They didn't get in," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper. "They came out of the shadows."

(...)

"So, when did you get there?" Rafael inquired.

"At the same time," Stiles replied promptly.

"At the same time as whom?" Rafael scanned the group of teenagers, his gaze lingering on each of them.

"Same time as me," Scott chimed in, pointing to himself. With each exchange of words, Alistair's annoyance grew, and he could sense a similar sentiment reflected on the sheriff's tired face and Lydia's expression.

Rafael pressed further, "Did the two of you arrive at the same time by coincidence?"

But, predictably, Scott and Stiles failed to grasp the question. "Are you asking me?" Scott pondered aloud, to which Stiles interjected, "I think he's asking me." An exasperated Lydia interjected, "I think he's asking both of you." Alistair could only bury his face in his hands, astounded by the sheer absurdity of the interrogation unfolding before him. This was, hands down, the most pathetic attempt to interrogatory he's ever been in.

"Okay, let me answer the questions," Rafael interjected suddenly, eliciting confused and quizzical looks from everyone present. Even the sheriff concealed a snort of amusement behind his hand. "Let me ask the questions," Rafael corrected himself, prompting Stiles to sarcastically smile and wink in response.

"Okay, this is ridiculous." Alistair interjected, drawing the attention of everyone in the room, finally making the Sheriff give his undivided attention. "Here's what happened," he pointed at Scott and Kira, "Scott and Kira were on a date at Kira's house, accompanied by her parents. You can verify this with them." Then, he gestured towards the others, "Meanwhile, Stiles, Lydia, and Michelle discovered a coded message indicating Barrow to take Kira, which he did. We discovered that Barrow was an electrical engineer who worked at the power substation. We thought, 'well, there's nothing to lose going there to check', which was truth, because we found her." A collective astonishment swept through the room, the sheriff nodding in approval as Alistair only finished with, "Can we go now?"