𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

Scott called Alistair very late the night before, waking him and Isaac. His voice radiated urgency, asking him to talk, he suggested going right now to his house, but considering everyone was in bed fast asleep, they decided to talk over breakfast in the morning. And so, they were doing just that, breakfast over the Rookwood's residence, the family, alongside Scott, and Allison.

The moment Allison and Scott started to talk about their visit to Gerard, the family tensed, not making any effort to hide their dislike, a thing that didn't go unnoticed by Scott. While talking, Scott always tried to keep eye contact with Alistair, making every effort possible to avoid David's eyes. He could feel the man's eyes on him and was starting to feel intimidated by his heavy and dominating presence.

After concluding their story about Lycaon, Zeus and the origin of the werewolves, while Isaac looked surprised, everyone in the family was looking at the two visitors as if they were children telling their nonsensical fantasies.

Alistair couldn't help but laugh, "that really is some heavy shit he told ya." He looked at them, seeing their serious expression and his smile fell, "you don't believe any of that, right?", he looked as Allison and Scott looked at each other. With a now serious expression, Alistair only shook his head sighing and said, "the two of you look to be more intelligent than to, first, believe anything a snake like Gerard could ever tell you, and secondly, you realize that believing in that tale would mean you two believe in the Greek pantheon's existence, right? Because I don't know about you, but to me that's bullshit."

Seeing how clueless Allison, Scott, and Isaac looked, David rolled his eyes exasperated and talked to his son, "just tell them the story and keep them from frying their brains."

Sighing, a little disappointed in them, Alistair started to tell them the real story, "the first thing you need to understand is who a human being would call a god. The only individuals who have enough power to change the course of nature, its servants." The three teenagers directed their eyes to Michelle, who was occupied with her eggs. "A witch, using dark magic, cursed an entire village, turning them into wolves, but he forgot to erase their humanity. These wolves searched for the help of the Druids, who were rumored to possess the gift of shapeshifting, this was false, but, seeing as the wolves still held to their humanity, the Druids were able to bring it to the front of them, making them come back to their human shape. And that's how your race was born, just not in Ancient Greece with the intervention of Zeus, more like in Eastern Europe in the last millennia."

While the family kept eating as if Alistair just told them the weather, the teenagers were bewildered, the three were gawked, not being able of producing a single word. From his plate, smirking, David only said, "he's always been a history nerd. My best student ever." He smiled proudly at his son, who smiled back, just as proud.

"And that's just one, trust me, the other werewolves have better stories." The three were even more confused now.

"O-Others?", was Scott's breathless voice.

"You didn't think your kind were the only werewolves in the world, right?", the teenager's expression answered for them. "I'm sorry to tell you, but your species are just a copy of the original werewolves, who are actually native from this country and presided your kind for about seven hundred years. But, well, that'll be a story for another time." No one knew what to say, only being able to continue with their food.

(...)

Hours later, Alistair received a text from Scott telling him that Allison's been skipping classes, he asked him to check on her, and so, not very interested in today's class, which was Jennifer's, he decided to grant and take Isaac with him.