𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 - 𝐏𝐭. 𝟏

"Mom, we'll only be gone for two weeks at most," Alistair stated with a touch of exasperation, trying to reassure her. His father was at the kitchen table, an amused smirk on his face as he took a sip of his morning coffee. Upstairs, Michelle was engrossed finishing her packing.

Esther emerged from the kitchen, carrying five Tupperware containers filled with different foods for their journey. "I know, I know, sorry," she replied apologetically, but still clearly tense. Alistair chuckled softly and made his way upstairs.

Knocking gently on Michelle's bedroom door, he peeked his head inside, observing her mild panic as she attempted to pack six suitcases. "You do realize we'll only be there for like two weeks, right?" he remarked.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Michelle turned to face him, her expression blended with frustration. "I know, but how can I know how much luggage is too much luggage?"

With a deadpan expression, Alistair said, "I'm taking two medium suitcases, lunatic."

Rolling her eyes in response, the girl retorted, "You wear like three different outfits in the same boring tones, you wouldn't understand."

Sighing, he said, "I know you want to make an impression, but you have fifteen minutes to make it three suitcases at most." He didn't wait for an answer, going to his and Isaac's shared room.

(...)

Upon arriving, Isaac was helping him take his suitcases out, said, "So, two weeks, right?" he inquired, a hint of curiosity and doubt lacing his voice. Alistair nodded and hummed in affirmation, taking hold of one of the suitcases and leading the way down the stairs, with Isaac trailing close behind.

Alistair replied, "Honestly, I really doubt Beacon Hills will give us two weeks off." He paused, placing the suitcases by the front door, his gaze meeting Isaac's. Noticing a slight grimace on Isaac's face, he raised an eyebrow inquisitively, sensing something amiss.

Isaac let out a deep sigh. "It's just..." Isaac began, pausing to scratch the bridge of his nose, his words tinged with a hint of longing and something else. "I wanted to go with you, but..." He trailed off, his expression reflecting a sense of disappointment.

Understanding dawned on Alistair, he laughed, and placed his hands reassuringly on Isaac's shoulders. "It's okay, don't bother your pretty little head with that."

Isaac mustered a sad smile, his gaze filled with a mixture of emotions. He pulled Alistair into a tight embrace, their heads coming to rest against each other. Alistair reciprocated, wrapping his arms securely around Isaac's torso. But this hug felt different from their usual ones. It lacked the usual serenity it normally brought, the longing that emitted from Isaac or the tenderness in his touch. Instead, it felt tinged with sorrow and a hint of desperation, as if Isaac feared Alistair would vanish. It didn't feel like a typical 'I'll see you later' hug; rather, it screamed 'goodbye' in a desperate and heart-wrenching manner, leaving Alistair with a heavy weight on his chest as he held Isaac tighter.

As they pulled apart, Alistair was about to voice his questions when Isaac unexpectedly leaned in and kissed him. Yet, again, this kiss wasn't warm, at least not in the way their kisses were. It also held a sadness and a hint of frustration, it was rough, not the kind of rough that comes with passion, but the kind that felt like he was desperate to merge his lips with Alistair's, maybe in an attempt to never letting him go.

Before Alistair could react or inquire further, Isaac cut him off again, his hands gently cupping Alistair's cheeks as he gazed into his eyes with intense emotions. "I love you," he declared, his words laden with sincerity and confusing melancholy. Without giving Alistair a chance to respond, Isaac opened the door and departed.