𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

The last thirty minutes had been irritating, to say the least. Hearing Scott rambling on and on about how killing wasn't the solution was a total waste of time. The only thing keeping Alistair from snapping at Scott was his phone. Or, rather, the person he was texting with.

"Are you even listening to me?" Scott said in a tense voice.

"I have to make a constant effort to block you out, why?" Alistair responded without any care; his eyes glued on the last message he received. He snorted at Kol's words, but Scott was clearly not amused.

I personally prefer snapping necks, but that tends to be harder for humans, lol

Is that written appropriately?

"Is that even important?" Scott crossed his arms over his chest.

Alistair gestured the phone with a smirk. "Well, if my suspicions are correct, I might be flirting with an over a thousand-year-old original vampire, so yes, Scott, it is important."

"Your failed love-life is not what I came to talk about," said Scott, passing a hand over his face.

"My failed love life?" Alistair said, "Should we talk about yours, Mr. I'm-a-werewolf, why-not-date-a-werewolf-hunter?" Alistair challenged.

After a moment, the Keeper sighed. "Look Scott, I don't know what you're expecting me to tell you, but all you need to know is that that guy's gun had a silencer, he was willing to shoot Stiles, and I wasn't willing to let him be killed, so I took the hard decision. Is a decision I regret? No. It's a decision I'll ever regret? Not a chance. The guy literally created a virus to kill werewolves; if I hadn't killed him, he would be out there killing more."

"It still wasn't the right thing," said Scott through clenched teeth.

"So, you'd rather I had let Stiles die?"

"No!"

"Then you have absolute no argument here, Scott."

"It wasn't your decision to make," Scott argued.

Alistair snorted. "And whose was it? Yours, Mr. True Alpha? Just because you think you're above everyone else, in terms of morality, doesn't make it true, you know."

"I don't think of myself as above anyone else," Scott said. Alistair only looked at him deadpanned. "Still, I wouldn't have done it," Scott added, squeezing his fists.

"Were you there when the guy counted to one, about to make a pretty neat hole through Stiles' head?"

"No."

"Then no one cares about what you would've done, Scott."

"I'm supposed to be the alpha of the pack," was Scott's weak argument.

Alistair gave him an incredulous look, before laughing. "Oh please, Scott, we already had this argument. My family is not part of your pack, we have our own alpha, and it's not you. You still have too much to learn before even attempting to lead people like us."

"Murderers?" Scott accused. Alistair seemed impassive. With a heavy sigh, instead of snapping at Scott, as much as he deserved, the Keeper stood up, talking very slowly.

"Look Scott, the difference between you and us, is that we have been in this business for years, you don't. We've seen people we care for, die, you don't. We understand something about leading and acting that you don't, let me tell you what."

The Keeper walked around the room, to move while speaking always helped him keep a cool head and not give in to his emotions.

"You're so far up your own ass, that you don't see it. You decide, and you live in base of your own moral compass, but let me tell you something. Not everyone agrees with that, you know why? Because it's only yours. You can't be a leader if you intend for everyone who follows you, to simply give up their individuality and bow to your moral compass. To expect that from your pack, is to ask them to submit their individuality to you. Look at Deucalion. You let him leave breathing, even after all the death he's caused in his wake. He may change, or maybe he simply left because he was defeated and humiliated about a baby werewolf defeating him, but if he goes out there, and hurts anyone, that will be on you. All the blood he spills, will be on your hands, because it was your decision, and your moral compass drive that let him live."